1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Coconut yoghurt for chicks?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by DaniSat, Mar 17, 2016.

1. DaniSat

DaniSat New Egg

Mar 17, 2016
    Hi,

We currently have 10 eggs in the incubator (expecting them to hatch this weekend - VERY excited!) and while I was looking into feed and treats, etc, I kept on coming across people suggesting live yoghurt in small quantities.I'm lactose intolerant and I make my own coconut milk yoghurt (ususally from the cream later of coconut milk I make using coconut chips and water). Despite searching, I can't seem to find any information on feeding this to chickens, and whether it would be safe...does anyone here know?

Thanks

2. Jensownzoo

Jensownzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2016
    Saint Louis, MO
    Coconut is fine for chickens (milk, meat, and oil), so I imagine that if the only thing added is a live culture, it should be fine. If you make it without added sugar, even better.

3. DaniSat

DaniSat New Egg

Mar 17, 2016
    Excellent, thank you. I make it with just the coconut cream and some of my previous batch's yoghurt for the culture

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by