CODEX--FDA threatens our freedom in 7 days! Off-Topic

I really have to disagree. Blast me if you will. Does anyone realize all the tests and studies and years of research that the fda does to make us safe. Yes, even with the research there are complications that happen and patients get affected. I for one will be very happy the fda researches so called wonder drugs, herbal supplements.
I am a critical care registered nurse and i have seen cardiac patients put into congestive heart failure, heart attacks, and even surgery being done because of some diet pill,miracle drink, or wonder drug. I know they have been getting extreme in some cases but i would prefer to know about a vitamin my parents want to take and it's sideaffects it could have on their medications, and conditions instead of ending up in the emergency room.

I have been in the nutrition industry for over 20 years, the company I work for would be closed if a law like this passes. Now here is the good news, the FDA does not have the power to impact a law that would effect the economy without seeking outside approval from the GA0 (the figure I believe is 300million). The nutritional supplement industry is a multi billon dollar industry , way beyond the scope of the FDA's authority.

If this concerns you then contact you local representative.

http://www.house.gov/writerep/ If you dont know how to contact them use this link.

Ask them to check into this, thats what they are there for. I did a search for any bills having the words nutritional and or supplements, and did not find anything. Before I signed that petition ask them for the bill or the congressman that is proposing the bill. Then look it up and see if its real.

IMHO, you are just supplying your names to a listing service.
I am a critical care registered nurse and i have seen cardiac patients put into congestive heart failure, heart attacks, and even surgery being done because of some diet pill,miracle drink, or wonder drug

While I certainly understand your concern, shall we recount the number of times that peoples lives are put in jeopardy because of doctors writing scripts without even bothering to check on what the patient is currently taking and how they might interact? Let’s face it; if it weren’t for good pharmacists the death toll would rival the plague. Food can be abused period. The biggest health care threat in America today is obesity.

The good News for you and I.

The government is in the process of passing manufacturing regulations for the nutritional support industry and companies like the one I work for will be glad when it’s done. When most of these so called supplements that caused problems were investigated, it was found that the manufactures were adding synthetics (drugs) to the supplements to boost their performance, regulating the industry would allow for FDA inspections, and such criminal activity would indeed become criminal. Now, having said that, everything that’s natural doesn’t mean its safe, after all arsenic is natural, so read the label folks, they label laws have changed in our industry, we are suppose to place any appropriate warnings on the labels. Once the federal law passes, then the FDA will be able to insure that the label, laws, ingredients and so on match. This is a good law, something that is an extension of DESHA and all good and responsible nutritional supplement manufacturers are looking forward to its passing.​

Last edited:
Yes, I'm aware of the research and development behind drugs. My husband used to work for a pharmaceutical company years ago. It bothered him how the company used to woo the doctors with gifts and trips as incentives to prescribe their brand X. The patient picks up the tab for the R&D, plus expensive perks.

True, people can be gullible when the herbal flavor of the day hits the market. But it is wrong to deny their access to herbs on the GRAS list or vitamins. I think it is a good idea for anyone to "brown bag" their medicines AND supplements when visiting the doctor as there may be dangers in some of the combinations.

The bottom line is that we shouldn't be denied the freedom to choose complementary or natural medicine. I hate that people in most states can't buy raw milk since that choice was taken from them, so to see them lose free access to something as simple as probiotics, vitamin C, raw coconut oil, etc.--well, I just shudder!

Stephanie

Before I signed that petition ask them for the bill or the congressman that is proposing the bill. Then look it up and see if its real.

Agreed! I too can not find any such bill. Has anybody else been able to locate the bill this is suppose to be about?​

According to the email that I received from westonaprice.org, the FDA document number is 2006D-0480. The links in the email didn't work for me, so I went to fda.gov, searched their site and I found 2006-0480.

Here is the email that I received:

FDA GUIDANCE DOCUMENT ON COMPLEMENTARY AND ALTERNATIVE MEDICINE (CAM)

You have probably received emails about a new FDA "guidance" document for
Complementary and Alternative Medicine, published in the FDA's website. This
document reminds us that FDA believes that under certain circumstances any
vitamins, supplements, herbs and even vegetables juices can be treated under
current law as FDA-regulated drugs. FDA believes, it appears from the guidance,
that even massage oils could be classified as "medical devices" subject to FDA
approval. The proposal is posted at
http://www.fda.gov/ohrms/dockets/dockets/06d0480/06d0480.htm.

Before sending out this alert, we consulted with Jim Turner, our General
Counsel, who described this FDA document as an "opening shot of little
significance in itself" but an indication of the direction that the FDA would
like to go in expanding its regulation of complementary and alternative
"medicine" products. That direction could include making the use of certain
products currently important to the practice of complementary and alternative
medicine (CAM) a criminal offense, including certain products subject to FDA
control used in conjunction with nutritional counseling, wellness consulting and
many other alternative practices FDA defines as "alternative medicine,".

The comment period ends April 30, 2007. We ask all of you to voice your protest
to this draconian proposal by asking FDA to withdraw this guidance, so that it
goes no further. We also suggest that you urge FDA to conduct one or more
public hearings on how it can effectively defer to state laws governing the
practice of medicine, and can comply with the directions of Federal Courts to
restrict its regulatory practices to the least intrusive actions available under
the law.

Go http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/oc/dockets/comments/
COMMENTSMain.CFM?EC_DOCUMENT_ID=1451&SUBTYP=CONTINUE&CID=&AGENCY=FDA to file
your comments in support of natural health care. (Note: You must copy and paste
the entire URL, ending with =FDA, and you might have to copy and paste in two
pieces to get it all.)

To submit comments by letter, be sure to reference FDA Document 2006D-0480:
Guidance for Industry on Complementary and Alternative Medicine Products and
Their Regulation by the Food and Drug Administration, and write to

Division of Dockets Management (HFA-305)
Food and Drug Administration
5630 Fishers Lane, Room 1061
Rockville, MD 20853

You may also have been hearing a great deal about the European Codex
Alimentarius lately. We are preparing an Information Alert on this subject and
will be sending it out shortly.

First, depending on the CAM
therapy or practice, a product used in a
CAM therapy or practice may be subject
to regulation as a biological product,
cosmetic, drug, device, or food
(including food additives and dietary
supplements) under the act or the PHS
Act.

Just so you all know nutritional supllements are already subject to the food and labeling act. Again, the FDA does not have the authority to pass a law that will have a negative impact on the economy without GAO apporval.
But please do fill in the commentaries on their website. I commented on how vague thier statement was. That before any law is past they should provide more details, like exactly what supplements they are referring to.

The best thing for anyone to do is write your congress person and let them know how strongly you feel about haveing alternative and preventative health care products available to you.

The last time FDA went on a crusade Congress past DESHA, believe me their are many congress people that take supplements and they dont want them under FDA control.

Back
Top Bottom