Coffee chaff! I did it!

Quote:
The smell, while very "coffee", is not overpowering to me. But then again, I dig coffee!
droolin.gif
It looks neat too, darker brown where it use to be the light pine color. I just looked at them all stretched out sleeping under the heat lamp... the heat on it is smelling gooood!

My chicks are at about 3-4 weeks. This chaff is very light and fine, so a little wind or a mass of flapping will stir it up a good bit. The brooder set up I have holds the stray shavings or chaff in. If I were you, I might wait a couple of weeks before using with little ones due to them wanting to peck and try everything. I don't recall there being an "age" requirement for the chickens while using this in the article.
hu.gif

Quote:
You can look it up under "coffee roasters" or if you have a local coffee house, give them a call and ask where the closest one might be. Here they have a large facility, and another small roaster that you can watch doing it's thing right in the coffee house! They said it takes about two weeks for two bags full from the small one, that'll work just about right for what I need at this point!

Thanks! I emailed the local coffee roaster and they said they already have a couple of bags ready and they will put some aside for me every week. I can't wait to try it!

I either don't know how to find them, or really don't have one near me.
hit.gif
Can someone help just a bit? I would love to have mocha smelling chickies and coops.
jumpy.gif

OK, don'teveryone laugh at me...but couldn't that make their eggs smell/taste like coffee? I have heard somewhere (can't recall exactly) that strong smelling things like garlic or onions can alter the taste of their eggs. So if they eat some, could it make their eggs taste like coffee? Either that or eating coffee will make them poop more
lol.png

Quote:
try this link, http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...s,+TX&btnG=Search&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai= or if it doesn't work right, open up Google Maps, and type in "coffee roasters, Lampasas, TX" and a whole bunch of coffee roasters in the area should pop up and then you can start making some phone calls. Or of course, type in any city and state you want to and it should list some choices.

OK, the link works but not exactly the way it would if you open the maps first... after you open that link, just click on the 'maps' button at the top, and it should open the maps page that will show the actual locations of the various hits on the subject.

Last edited:
Quote:
"My chicks are at about 3-4 weeks. This chaff is very light and fine, so a little wind or a mass of flapping will stir it up a good bit. The brooder set up I have holds the stray shavings or chaff in. If I were you, I might wait a couple of weeks before using with little ones due to them wanting to peck and try everything. I don't recall there being an "age" requirement for the chickens while using this in the article. "

I totally get where you are coming from with this a very good question. But I would think the chickens would have to eat it to retain the flavor in their eggs, right??? I have never seen my grown chickens eat the bedding. A chick might try it if too young from what I understand. At first, I thought the chaff was being used in the coop but I see the O.P. is saying she is using it in her brooder. Now I would be interested in using it in my coop.
wink.png
I love to go down the coffee aisle at the store as I love the smell.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Ozark hen, I didn't even see that part! Thanks for pointing that out. My girls are such little piggies sometimes that I think they would eat it
big_smile.png

no problem, when I first read the original post that is what popped in my head, too. LOL Now I would absolutely love to have some in my coop. What a wonderful way to start my morning!!!
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom