Coffee grounds and chickens

bel

Songster
10 Years
Jan 15, 2010
East bay
I put a lot of used coffee grounds in my compost piles, and use it as a mulch around my plants to kill slugs, so its all over the ground in areas
(I get trashbags of it for free from coffee places and it does wonders around the yard.)

I do have a 12 x 7 run I can keep coffee free, but if there is a lot of coffee grounds in the yard will chickens be safe if allowed to free range?
Thanks,
bel

lau.gif
very very funny
Quote:

Well, I wouldn't feed them to the birds on purpose as they have no nutritional value and do have the caffeine, which can't be good for a chicken. If they manage to eat some, I doubt it would hurt. And, as Bill said, they may party all night long, LOL.

We put used coffee grounds in our compost pile all the time and the girls are always in it scratching around. They have never had any ill effects from it. I think they will be fine.

Hey! You might be on to something!! Energy eggs! They could be on the counter of every convenience store LOL

Heehee
wink.png

I love the all night party visual! Hens Gone Wild!

Last edited:
I used coffee grounds mixed with broken eggshells as a mulch around my cabbage plants (a hint from Mother Earth News). First the chickens ate the eggshells, then they ate the coffee grounds, then they ate the cabbage. Mother didn't warn me about that, but the chickens were fine and seemed to enjoy every minute of it.

Back
Top Bottom