Coffee grounds

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by SandraMort, Oct 10, 2008.

1. SandraMort

SandraMort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    ny
    I know you can compost coffee grounds but can chickens eat them? Is the caffeine dangerous?

2. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Mine like drinking coffee out of my cup when I am in the backyard with them. [​IMG] Didn't seem to hurt them . I don't think they would want to eat grounds though.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2008
  3. snowydiamonds

snowydiamonds Chillin' With My Peeps

Don't fool yourself, chickens will eat most anything and I wouldn't give the grounds to them, there is absolutely no food value in it for them. Why would you think of something like this? Humans give their bodies all kinds of things they shouldn't but why make animals do so? (I'm a heavy coffee/chocoholic but I sure wouldn't advocate it to anyone else, human or creature!)

4. Kung Foo Chicken

Kung Foo Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine already wake me up at 3am. Can't imagine caffeine filled roos. [​IMG]

5. Cheryl

Cheryl Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:funny! [​IMG]

6. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    Mine don't eat anything they don't like. [​IMG] There is lots in the yard they will "try" but has no "nutritional" value to them. Don't worry about it.

7. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Quote:LOL, me too!

8. picklespickles

picklespickles Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2007
    mine will eat anyting but not coffee grounds. oh, or carob.

9. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    I doubt they will eat them and if they do...doubt it will hurt them. If you are composting them, I would not let the girls in the compost pile either if you are using food scraps in the compost. There is a chance of botulism.

10. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Quote:Have you ever seen the things chickens and other animal will eat? Even those animals that are fed very very well that still eat the nastiest stuff you can imagine? I think we are over protective. There are sustainable living farms that never feed chickens the way we think they should beed them. They have to scavange from compost and other sources of free range food. They tend to have some very healthy birds in their flock. Botulism is one of the last things I worry over when it comes to chickens and their need to tear apart a compost pile. Is it possible they can pick up botulism poisoning, yes. Is it likely, not as frequent as we think.

I would not give them the coffee grounds. I save those for my garden and big flower pots of acid love plants.

I also use them in my homemade soap for foot scrub bars.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by