Coffee Table Coop

City Chicken Wrangler

In the Brooder
Jun 29, 2017
Ok, this is gonna be a long post. Thanks in advance for any input!

Long story short - I've been working on farms for the past few years and I really enjoyed having chickens. I'm moving into Atlanta soon, so I will likely have no yard though. My basic idea is to make a coop that doubles as a coffee table. I know that there are a couple of concerns that I'd like to address starting out. I'd really like to hear what you guys think!

#1 Animal Welfare: Shouldn't Chickens be Outside?

I know that chickens indoors can be a hot button topic for a lot of people. With that being said, I want to say that I agree in most scenarios. In an ideal world, I believe that chickens should have plenty of access to the outdoors. I would also say that the same is true for dogs, cats, and even humans! Yet all of these animals can live happy lives in a city if properly cared for. And in my case, a large yard to play and forage in is not an option. However, I've designed my coop to create the best environment that I can provide. It would certainly be better than the industry standard at the very least.

#2 Smell: Enough Said!

This is obviously the next biggest concern for indoor chickens. In my experience though, a sprinkle of fresh bedding once or twice a day is adequate. My coop will allow for a tray in the bottom that acts like a deep bedding build up that only needs to be cleaned out once a week. I'm thinking that as long as the C:N ratio of the bedding and manure is right, the smell won't be an issue.

Basic Design:

I don't have the final dimensions nailed down, but I think the footprint will be about 2.5 feet wide, and 4.5 feet long. This should be enough space to have two nest boxes, a dust bath area, a food/water/grit dispenser, small storage, and a run for 2-3 chickens. Each end will have a door to access the eggs and any storage. The main body is rails to allow plenty of light and ventilation. One of the long sides will also have a pull down door to clean out the bedding.

Please let me know what you guys think! I'd love to hear any constructive criticism.

Attachments

• Coffee Table Coop.jpg
    Coffee Table Coop.jpg
    464.4 KB · Views: 16
Coops of that size are a nightmare to any chickens that lives in them. The nature of a chicken is to forage and range, not sit in a box all day. I wouldn't recommend it for all the reasons you listed and more. It would work well for keeping gerbils or hamsters though.

Hi, Welcome to BYC. I think this can be done but maybe not how your expecting. The chicken breed Serama. Breed of the smallest chicken in the world. For the size you are talking about I think you could maybe keep 2 hens in there but as was told , All chickens need to forage. So if you were in a position to take them out for maybe an hr. a day and give them supplemental vitamins for their lack of sunshine it might work well for you. Also they do make chicken diapers where they could roam around with supervision inside . They are a common house pet.
020.JPG

@granny hatchet, TSC gave us two free chicks because they had flaps of extra skin. They were unsure about the breed but they knew they were bantam. They are about 2 1/2 months old now. They have short stubby legs and are SO tiny! One of them STILL hasn't gotten her head feathers. If I PM you a picture would you be able to tell if they are Saramas?

@granny hatchet, TSC gave us two free chicks because they had flaps of extra skin. They were unsure about the breed but they knew they were bantam. They are about 2 1/2 months old now. They have short stubby legs and are SO tiny! One of them STILL hasn't gotten her head feathers. If I PM you a picture would you be able to tell if they are Saramas?
hard to say. I will tell you TSC has never sold seramas to my knowledge. Can you post your picture in the breed section ?

@granny hatchet, TSC gave us two free chicks because they had flaps of extra skin. They were unsure about the breed but they knew they were bantam. They are about 2 1/2
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/what-breed-or-gender-is-this.15/
months old now. They have short stubby legs and are SO tiny! One of them STILL hasn't gotten her head feathers. If I PM you a picture would you be able to tell if they are Saramas?
you can start a new thread here with pics. these guys are better then I am.
What Breed Or Gender is This?

Back
Top Bottom