Coincidence or the pepper🤔

lor31195

In the Brooder
Sep 27, 2022
I’ve seen the use of Cayenne pepper added to feed to increase egg laying on Pinterest a lot so I gave it a shot… Yesterday I got 1 extra egg and this morning I got 2 extra eggs!! idk if it’s the pepper or my chicks coming over the 6/7 month mark or just a coincidence. I only got two laying right now.. these pics are from this morning.

Attachments

• 19CBCE8D-A10E-4D94-AA34-86B46AC3775D.jpeg
    19CBCE8D-A10E-4D94-AA34-86B46AC3775D.jpeg
    460.8 KB · Views: 19
  • 9EE8B9F7-FBCE-44D3-814B-E540BB6F969C.jpeg
    9EE8B9F7-FBCE-44D3-814B-E540BB6F969C.jpeg
    459.8 KB · Views: 1
I’ve seen the use of Cayenne pepper added to feed to increase egg laying on Pinterest a lot so I gave it a shot… Yesterday I got 1 extra egg and this morning I got 2 extra eggs!! idk if it’s the pepper or my chicks coming over the 6/7 month mark or just a coincidence. I only got two laying right now.. these pics are from this morning.
Are you saying you got more eggs than the number of layers you have? So one or both must have laid more than one egg in a day?

If so, that is quite unusual. If you have any others that could be on the verge of laying, I wonder if they just happened to start laying now.

Are you saying you got more eggs than the number of layers you have? So one or both must have laid more than one egg in a day?

If so, that is quite unusual. If you have any others that could be on the verge of laying, I wonder if they just happened to start laying now.
I’ve been watching them and they lay around 8:30/9 and I have only seen two of my laying chicks go in the boxes all the others stay out🤷🏼‍♀️

I’ve been watching them and they lay around 8:30/9 and I have only seen two of my laying chicks go in the boxes all the others stay out🤷🏼‍♀️

Sometimes they can be sneaky, and lay when you aren't looking.

A few ways to recognize who might be laying:

--layers have bright red combs and wattles, non-layers have paler combs & wattles that are also more pale in color.

--if you look at their vents, a layer will have a larger vent that looks like moist and stretchy (so an egg can come out), while a non layer has a smaller vent that looks dry and puckered.

--you can feel for the tips of the two pubic bones, below the vent and a little to each side. On non layers, those tips are just below the vent and close together. On layers, they are further down and much further apart (again, makes enough space for an egg to come out.)

I find that comparing birds with each other makes some of the differences really obvious. For the vent and pubic bones, a rooster or a partly-grown chick are obvious examples of birds that are not laying.

Sometimes they can be sneaky, and lay when you aren't looking.

A few ways to recognize who might be laying:

--layers have bright red combs and wattles, non-layers have paler combs & wattles that are also more pale in color.

--if you look at their vents, a layer will have a larger vent that looks like moist and stretchy (so an egg can come out), while a non layer has a smaller vent that looks dry and puckered.

--you can feel for the tips of the two pubic bones, below the vent and a little to each side. On non layers, those tips are just below the vent and close together. On layers, they are further down and much further apart (again, makes enough space for an egg to come out.)

I find that comparing birds with each other makes some of the differences really obvious. For the vent and pubic bones, a rooster or a partly-grown chick are obvious examples of birds that are not laying.
This is great information! Thanks!!

Back
Top Bottom