cold chick

chicknmania

Free Ranging
17 Years
Jan 26, 2007
central Ohio
We got day old chicks from the hatchery yesterday, something I normally don't do this time of year, but they had no pullets and we need hens. Because I was expecting to get pullets and not chicks, and was rushing to get the chicks before they sold out, wasn't set up or prepared for the chicks like I normally would be. They are in a tub with heat light and heat mat, but the mat is propped against the side of the tub and overnight they went behind it. One got caught back there and got very cold. We dragged her back from death's door, warmed her up, and got electrolyte/ probiotic solution into her (I don't have any SavAChick, I used Hydrohen and a little vitamins. She did improve quickly, is peeping loudly, but seems to be weak and having a little trouble walking, she's pretty stationary. She is not eating. I've been giving her the Hydrohen water every hour, and she is drinking on her own if I hold her next to the waterer, but I think she is too weak to walk there to get it herself. The other chicks are huddling around her and she is OK with that. Anything else I can do? I feel like such an idiot, but as I said, I was kind of rushed into it and not prepared, I've never had a problem like this before. I am getting them into a bigger brooder box today where I can give them something to get under and readjust the mat, etc. There are four and the others are fine.

Give her drops of warm sugar water and Poultry Nutri-drench every half hour until she's back to normal. The ratio is one teaspoon of sugar to one cup of water with Nutri-drench. Either syringe it into the right side of the beak or place drops on the outside of the right side of the beak and se should slurp the liquid in.

Give her drops of warm sugar water and Poultry Nutri-drench every half hour until she's back to normal. The ratio is one teaspoon of sugar to one cup of water with Nutri-drench. Either syringe it into the right side of the beak or place drops on the outside of the right side of the beak and se should slurp the liquid in.
Thank you! I'll keep this for future reference. She's up and eating, thankfully!

Back
Top Bottom