Cold chickens.....when to use heat lamp?

Hi My name is Charlotte. I live in Hagersville, Ontario, Canada. I have a 250 watt infrared heat lamp that I leave on when the coop is around 40 degrees. My coop is about 8 x 10. I also have a heated 3 gallon plastic water dispenser as well. My thought for the past 2 years is that when it's just above 0 it's time for some heat. Seems to work just fine for my hens.

Oh ya I forgot. I don't worry about water freezing during the day in their run. They can get warm water in the coop if they need it. If you have anymore questions for me I would be happy to answer them. Here is a picture of the coop under construction. Just e mail me. [email protected]

Hi My name is Charlotte. I live in Hagersville, Ontario, Canada. I have a 250 watt infrared heat lamp that I leave on when the coop is around 40 degrees. My coop is about 8 x 10. I also have a heated 3 gallon plastic water dispenser as well. My thought for the past 2 years is that when it's just above 0 it's time for some heat. Seems to work just fine for my hens.
Charlotte,i live in Manitoba and i heat my coop also. Our winters can be fierce and my silkies need the extra heat,this system has worked fine for me too and my hens love it.

I have a rooster and 4 hens, all older, rescue chickens. The coop is insulated (although the new resident mice are eating through that to get to the feed!) and small.

We have a heated water dish for dogs plugged in, and although it doesn't keep the water warm, it keeps the water water.

We have a newly loaned heat lamp (red) which is hanging a couple feet above the center of the floor, and tons of straw. It's nice and cozy in there now, and it's -40 degrees (Celcius AND Fahrenheit!) right now with the windchill. The only concern I have is that they can't see the sunlight. Next coop design will have windows!

Also a concern is that they are getting used to the cozy heat lamp, and I have to expose them to some cold wind for a few minutes each day in order to change their water and feed them (and gather the eggs before they freeze and crack!). So far, so good.

Chickens are definitely hardy, way more than I thought (this is my first ever winter with chickens!). But they sure look miserable when they are cold.
hmm.png

I have been around the sun 63 times.
In Canada I am subject to -40º cold snaps. I do NOT heat my coop. Murphy's law says my birds will find out what -40 is all about when my hydro goes out. Regardless what you decide feed extra Corn over the winter you will not be sorry.
Lost birds to heat never to cold.
Works for me.

That being said I just get cold snaps lasting a few days or so. However climate similar to Saskatchewan Canada where the average daily winter temperature is -22º C lately has made me question my own beliefs.

I know if I was raising birds in Saskatchewan and I noticed my flock in distress due to cold I would not hesitate to provide them with heat. One has to take a daily inventory on ones birds to gauge their over all health and well being. One has to pay due diligence when you are responsible for your flock.

I consider myself somewhat of an expert in my own area. That being said you can not be closed minded to others who are dealing with different challenges.

Last edited:
I have been around the sun 63 times.
In Canada I am subject to -40º cold snaps. I do NOT heat my coop. Murphy's law says my birds will find out what -40 is all about when my hydro goes out. Regardless what you decide feed extra Corn over the winter you will not be sorry.
Lost birds to heat never to cold.
Works for me.

You got that right. Yeah, they are all comfy and warm. Let that bulb burn out in the middle of a VERY cold night, and let that temp drop in the coop. Those birds WILL suffer then. And all because somebody feels a little chilly, and puts that on a bird that has evolved for 1000s of years to handle what mother nature throws at them. Pointless really.

Last edited:
You got that right. Let that bulb burn out in the middle of a VERY cold night, and let that temp drop in the coop. Those birds WILL suffer then. And all because somebody feels a little chilly, and puts that on a bird that has evolved for 1000s of years to handle what mother nature throws at them. Pointless really.
You and I have been on the same page for ages; Even before this site JackE. Always admired your coop too!! It is suitable for just about any type of pigeon or fowl for that matter.

Last edited:
I just turned on my heat lamp 2 days ago. Both last night and the night, when I went outside around 10pm I noticed that most of my chickens were not sleeping. They were roosted but awake. Some were sleeping but, others had their heads up and looking around.

Last winter was my first with chickens. I used the heat lamp last year also. I also wound up with a horrible case of feather picking by spring. Right now everybody has just finished coming back into feather after molt and, all but one, look great. I thought my feather picking was due to overcrowding since they just didn't want to leave the coop, not even to go out to the run. This winter I have 2 less chickens and really don't believe they are overcrowded.(more than 4sq'/bird) I am now wondering if the red heat lamp bulb is affecting their sleep?

I've read on here many times it usually doesn't so, gave it a try. How many people have had issues using red heat lamp bulbs to warm their chickens/coop?

I keep mine up quite high, above and in front of their roosts. High enough that they cannot reach the lamp but, low enough that some heat makes it down to the roosts.

BTW, I was horribly against providing any heat for them for the "what if" reasons. But, I noticed them huddled together, in their coop, all day, hardly moving. Even when I would go into the coop they'd move, as a group to the other end, a whole 6' and avoid going outside. I just couldn't watch them suffer. After I put the lamp on they were more inclined to move about inside the coop so I believe I lessened their suffering. I totally agree they "should" be able to survive without. Next time I hope I get some heartier chickens!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom