Cold Climate Coop?

Thiriel

In the Brooder
Jun 2, 2016
Fredericton, New Brunswick
My boyfriend and I have been talking about what to do when we build our chicken coop and I've been trying to research online what we'd need to do to make sure that we have a solid coop, so either a shed we build ourselves or a shed or baby barn we buy and convert.

What concerned us though, was that either we we build it, we were wondering if we'd have to add some insulation. I was thinking perhaps a sheet of foam insulation all around (except the ceiling and perhaps the floor), as we don't think a sheet of plywood would be enough for the cold Canadian winters where a -10c or 14f is considered a warmish day in January/February/March.

I know a lot of people say you don't need it, but I just wonder if I need to because as I said earlier, I'll be getting a decent sized coop for perhaps a dozen chickens, as I want to be able to get inside the coop to clean, and I'd like to have enough space for them to do their thing on days when I can't let them out during blizzard or thunderstorm conditions.

Any tips would be appreciated!

I'm in the same boat. I also gotta deal with the Canadian winter.

Maybe just use a heat lamp on the really cold nights.
Foam insulation works really well for holding the heat in, I made an incubator out of the stuff, it works really well.
I don't plan on doing anything for heat or insulation this year. My coop roof is insulated but that's to stop the sun from heating the coop.

The only thing I plan on doing is making a 4x8 framed run that's strong enough to hold 3-4' of snow.
Everything covered with 6mm poly to keep the wind and snow out. I was gonna use leaves for the flooring.

My greenhouse uses 6mm poly and its always 15c warmer in there during the winter with everything closed up.

I think for the snow I would use a roof with a decent slope, which is also another reason to make a human height coop that I can go into if needed.

Though from experience, I'll make sure that the slope faces away from any entrance/window.

I was just wondering if a piece of sheet-foam between two sheets of plywood is to much or two little.

Welcome to you both to BYC!!

No insulation needed really ......and no heat lamps!
'Holding heat' is folly because you need ventilation, ventilation, ventilation!

It's a tossup, insulation can help, but it can also harbor insects and rodents.
Insulating floor can help for winter, and roof to foil summer sun.

You both might want to look at the Woods Coop.....designed for cold climates.

........ I'll be getting a decent sized coop for perhaps a dozen chickens, as I want to be able to get inside the coop to clean, and I'd like to have enough space for them to do their thing on days when I can't let them out during blizzard or thunderstorm conditions.
Excellent deduction!! Kudos to you!
You will not regret this.......extra space for storage of feeds/supplies...and even more to separate off to raise those chicks you're going to eventually want.

Good articles linked in my signature on Space and Ventilation.

Back
Top Bottom