Cold cold cold!

DuckMom2022

Chirping
Jan 10, 2023
Hello everyone! I have two ducks that we have had for about a year and a half. They are khaki campbells. Last winter things were ok for them. This year we have a week where temps are in the teens and down to 1 degree F at night. We have a coop with plastic around 4 sides. Half the roof area is covered with tarp, the other half is open. They also have a house that is 3 x 4 foot with a roof and door with latches. 3 walls inside the house are insulated with 2 inch styrofoam. There are 2 small windows on the sides of the house up high by the roof area for ventilation. The windows are about 3 inches wide by 12 inches long. Possibly 4 inches wide. We insulate with straw on the floor of house and coop. We lock them in their house at night. Will this be warm enough for them, or is there more I need to do for them? Below is a summer photo.

Attachments

• 414171282_298158752769017_2465670848766480870_n.jpg
    414171282_298158752769017_2465670848766480870_n.jpg
    209.3 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
I seem to keep saying this over and over but It's best to keep their swimming water or any large containers of water empty during severe temps so they don't sleep in the water overnight and it freeze around them which can cause them to get frostbite. If you feed inside of their coop just make sure what water you leave with them they can't climb into.

I bust them enough of a hole in the water to drink from and try to keep it open so they aren't shoveling in cold snow zapping away their energy to stay warm. Right now they are outside all sitting down instead of inside the place, geese are staying in and so are the guinea fowl. All of them still alive. Going to drop to -35° in temperatures tonight, but I won't worry since they will be inside.

I tried to find the link I wanted to share but the search only goes back to 2021 this was much later when a member had a duck sleep in their water bowl overnight and the water froze. The duck last we heard was going to lose their feet. I don't think there was ever another up date to let us know if the duck made it. But This is why I keep harping on the frozen water.

I tried to find the link I wanted to share but the search only goes back to 2021 this was much later when a member had a duck sleep in their water bowl overnight and the water froze. The duck last we heard was going to lose their feet. I don't think there was ever another up date to let us know if the duck made it. But This is why I keep harping on the frozen water.
Ah water in their enclosure, nope these guys sleep without any water inside, had that mess and not doing it again. I did the 5 and 2.5 gallon bucket, that ended up frozen over just as fast as the pond and eventually built up ice that was hard to knock out after few days. Here is home right now for them I took a picture of while checking, they are hiding underneath.
IMG_20240112_122108_00_586.jpg

In Eastern Ontario, Canada, my winter temperature, Jan. to March are -20C/-4F. There is also an average 250cm/98inches of snow. The ducks, peacocks, chickens and guinea fowl all do fine. Each group has a coop with an attached run. They have a choice during the day where to spend their time and if the sun is shining they are out.
My ducks haven't had their swim pool for several months. I take out fresh water for them each morning in a container big enough to submerse their heads. No water in the coop at night.
IMO the important thing is that they are protected from winds and freezing rain. I tarp the side of runs where the prevailing winds are. Ducks are equipped to survive the cold with feather coverage (think down blankets and coats) and adapted circulation system.
From the description given by DuckMom2022, I would actually be more concerned that there might not be enough air circulation. I think excess humidity is a greater risk than the cold.

don’t forget ventilation overnight when they are locked in a small insulated building there has to be ventilation for the damp air to escape because they breathe out a lot of humidity . Windows up high one square foot per bird, covered in hardware cloth.

Back
Top Bottom