Cold coop

Ok.
I’m sure folks who have had chicks for a long time are tired of answering this question.... BUT
This is our first winter with chickens - my husband spent all spring and summer building them a coop that is insulated, draft free and well ventilated. I put a thermometer in there because it’s getting cold her (Massachusetts) and was expecting a toasty coop.

NOPE.
It was 28 degrees in there this morning 😫 which was almost 10 degrees warmer than outside but NOT warm. The girls seemed perfectly content when I let them out, went right to eating veggies and didn’t even bother with their scratch.
SO
My questions are: the coop is elevated (so it’s not on the cold ground), insulated (floors, roof, walls, nesting boxes all have thick insulation inside), the windows have weather stripping so they aren’t drafty, we have a functioning cupola for ventilation. I do NOT want to use a heater, but is there anything I can do to make it warmer?
Also:If the coop is only staying8-10 degrees warmer than outside, what happens when it’s below zero out?
I know that wild birds live here in the winter and survive nesting in trees... I KNOW. But also?? I’m worried 🤣🤣🤣 Any thoughts?? ❤ 🐓
Lots of bedding to insulate them from the cold floor and no drafts.

It's been pretty cold here and I have 8 chickens who are about the same age as yours (7 1/2 mo). Similar coop set up, no heater. My chickens seem to be doing just fine - we put up some 4mil plastic around the bottom of the run that is directly under the coop (raised coop) and raked leaves around the base for some insulation so that will hopefully help trap some warm(er) air during the day. We also blocked off the two exterior windows with the 4mil plastic because we have good ventilation overall. It's been high 20s/low 30s here in GA also, and no issues so far.
Yeah we put up plastic around the run to help a bit too and tons of straw bedding to give them something to nest down in. We also put bales around the outside in some areas for some extra insulation. I think I’m probably just crazy and *I’m* the one who needs to acclimate, not them 🤣

I know I REALLY want them to be nice to each other!! we had a few unseasonably warm days late last month and I let everyone free range together and they seemed to do well. I was thinking about putting the littles out during the day in a dog crate so they can all see each other and spend some time together. But if they’ve been in the house (which we keep at about 60 because we have big dogs who get hot 🤣) can they just go out for the whole day?
[/QUOTE

It would probably depend on current temps. If they are only used to 60 degrees but its 15 outside, then maybe a couple hours then keep increasing. If its above freezing then they can go out longer. Do you have a garage they could try for a couple nights that might have in between temps? If they are huddled in a dog crate together they will fluff up and keep each other warm. However I'm no expert and there may be better advice on here how to acclimate. I actually had my 2 week old chicks in a dog crate outside with their "heating pad mama" when it was around freezing and they did great. They stayed out most of time and ran back underneath when needed so chickens are more hearty than you might think. Your birds are fully feathered so they will acclimate well. The first time I left my first batch of chicks without heat (8 weeks and freezing) I thought I would wake up to dead chicks and they were running around all happy the next day.

Another note, when I integrated my birds older with younger, I actually stood in their coop and watched them roost together for the first time (I know, I know, crazy, but I was curious about their process) They definitely had a pecking order which is normal, but one just beat the crap out of the younger ones to the point there was blood and she just wouldn't stop after so many days, so I ended up getting rid of that one, it was so brutal. They say dont put human emotions into their pecking order, I agree, but I just couldn't handle the blood and wanted to protect the rest. I think I just had a really mean chicken! Not all are like that. Hopefully you have nice ones!

Anyway, back to your original post, haha, your chickens are designed to handle cold, cold temps. They should do well.

Yeah we’ve got a thick layer of bedding down as well as insulation in between the floor layers! 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻
You are truly worrying over nothing.
As long as your coop is dry, they will be fine. I shot this video on a morning that was -2F. What is the RIR hen doing? Picking ice out of the feathers of the White Rock. Everyone was fine.

This is the interior of my coop. No insulation. No heat. No weather stripping around windows. Lots of ventilation.
2CAA8E144C7F_1578235491412.png

You are truly worrying over nothing.
As long as your coop is dry, they will be fine. I shot this video on a morning that was -2F. What is the RIR hen doing? Picking ice out of the feathers of the White Rock. Everyone was fine.

This is the interior of my coop. No insulation. No heat. No weather stripping around windows. Lots of ventilation.
View attachment 2442121
How big is your coop? And I am so glad you posted this. I've been upset that hubs didn't insulate our coop. It has been the same temp as outside which is low 20's sometimes. The younger ones(9 weeks) have been staying in the coop. I was shocked that the older gals(9 months) stay OUTSIDE in their run! It's predator proof and wrapped in plastic on 2.5 sides so I've decided to leave them though panicking the whole time about the cold. The other night it was low 20's and I went to grab a chick who decided to stay with mama hen outside and to my surprise that chick was warm. It was really warm in-between the chickens lined up on the roost. Like, WARM to my touch!! Imagine my pleasant surprise. Though I'm not as panicked as before, it still does bother me slightly, but I know it's my issue now.

How big is your coop? And I am so glad you posted this. I've been upset that hubs didn't insulate our coop. It has been the same temp as outside which is low 20's sometimes. The younger ones(9 weeks) have been staying in the coop. I was shocked that the older gals(9 months) stay OUTSIDE in their run! It's predator proof and wrapped in plastic on 2.5 sides so I've decided to leave them though panicking the whole time about the cold. The other night it was low 20's and I went to grab a chick who decided to stay with mama hen outside and to my surprise that chick was warm. It was really warm in-between the chickens lined up on the roost. Like, WARM to my touch!! Imagine my pleasant surprise. Though I'm not as panicked as before, it still does bother me slightly, but I know it's my issue now.
Wrap the rest of the run in plastic and leave the top of the walls open for ventilation.
My coop is 8'x16', 8'x12' for the birds. The attached predator-proof run is 12'x28' with a 4'x8' jog in the back. There is another 40 sq ft available that the bantams sometimes use as I have the maternity ward and it's run open to the flock.
I snapped these pictures this morning when the temp was 22F. They are snowed in for the foreseeable future. They're doing just fine.
IMG_20201220_090646488.jpg
IMG_20201220_090650957.jpg

Back
Top Bottom