1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

COLD eggs, should i try to set them?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Tony, Feb 22, 2008.

1. Tony

Tony Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2008
    Connecticut
    I`ve been doing my best to collect eggs ASAP everyday, but somedays I`m late and the eggs are Very Cold, not frozen solid yet, but cold. Should i attempt to set them in my incubator or just have a nice meal instead, till i find warmer ones. How long can they survive being that cold? I`m talking temps outside in 20`s-30`s. It probably doesn`t matter, but these eggs are half blue orp and half sex link or cherry egger or whatever they`re called. I think I read they`re half RIR and white rock for eggs production.
    thanks Tony

2. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    I set mine as long as they haven't been frozen. Maybe you'll have a lower hatch rate, but it shouldn't be a complete waste.

3. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Two weeks ago I set eggs that had been shipped to me. My neighbor wanted to put one of her hen's eggs in with mine. It was in the coop for a couple of hours when it was about 15 degrees outside. Then it was in the fridge for two or three hours. I left it on the counter to settle with my shipped eggs for 24 hours. Last night I candled. The chick was developing nicely and was wiggling up a storm. So I guess the weather didn't hurt it too much. With my luck, none of my expensive shipped eggs will hatch, and that one will.

4. Cara

Cara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    I found some that one of my hens had laid while we were away at Christmas. She has never been a big layer, and there were 6 waiting in a nest when I got home. They had been out for several nights around 15F, and highs around 30F during the day. 5 of the 6 hatched.

5. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    Yup!!
    Put em in. what do you got to loose--except expensive electricity. Just make sure they know they have to be nice to Charlie's eggs once they make it into you bator!

6. Tony

Tony Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2008
    Connecticut
    Thanks all!! woohoo!!! Monday they`re going in. I`ll be sure that Charlies eggs and mine play nicely Tiffany. hehe!!
    I set up my incubator tonight, so by Monday it should be ready to go. Yayyy!!! I`m one of YOU all now, I`m officially an incubator-er. I can`t wait to see what happens.
    Thanks again. Tony

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by