Cold growing potatoes?

nao57

Crowing
Mar 28, 2020
So, today its 60 degrees outside,...in Utah where I live, and mid-May. This is usually about 85 degrees or even 90 around this time of year. This will probably not last long, and become hot again. We have weird weather often. Utah weather is like gambling, you never know what will happen. Just 2 days ago it was really hot.

Anyway, this made me get into thinking mode again. And it so happens I'd seen some of the videos on Youtube done by people talking about how we are in a grand solar minimum. The post Covid-19 fear term for this is 'sun lock down'. I don't like that term because its sort of designed to inflame fear. I'm not afraid nor trying to cause fear. But the science of sunspots and weather patterns and sun cycles is genuine, as it affects us by space weather. Its very interesting if you get a chance to look at some of this data.

And it explains why what happened last year with the Midwest flooding, and why things have been getting weirder for the last 2 years+. (But it isn't global warming, which is kind of a fraud perpetrated by the elitist healthcare and science extortion racketeering schemes.)

Anyway, this had me wondering which breeds/types of potatoes grow easiest (as compared to other potatoes) when the weather is colder?

One of the great things about potatoes is that they can grow well even if it gets cold. (They are the ultimate tool for preparedness and self sufficiency).

I want to ask you all what you think about this? I especially hope to learn from you on this, and I recognize there are many gifted agriculture hobbyists and farmers back east, in the deep south, and even up north.

It would be good for me I think to be growing stuff that is somewhat cold hardy as a section of my garden. I don't mean that as any kind of fear stuff, but just anti-financial slavery. I very much dislike how people in the left, and people who are popular make out anyone that is just using common sense and doesn't want to be in financial bondage as some kind of cultists or weirdos also, or fear mongerers. This just isn't true.

Well, I hope by bringing up things to talk about I can help benefit some of you and vice versa.

As a side note; today I compared potatoes I'd stored in dirt about 4 weeks ago (?) with some potatoes I'd put in the windowsill to chit (to sprout). I wanted to see how healthy looking, and sickly looking they looked compared to each other. The ones that were stored under and fully packed in dirt looked noticeably much better than the ones that had nothing around them that I'd been trying to chit. (They were store bought non-seed, so they were slow chitting.)

For those of you who haven't tried sprouting your own potatoes (they call this chitting), feel free to ask about it here if you need to.

Also, I forgot to report on my last potato thread that I have gotten all kinds of store bought (to eat, non-seed) potatoes to chit (sprout) just fine, as if they were normal seed potatoes. I wanted to get people to know this as knowing this lets you do all kinds of experiments on your own. I've done them this way for over 3 years. However, they do TAKE LONGER to chit and sprout this way. (I also think there is a minor increased failure rate of possibly +10 to 15%, which is barely worth mentioning).

Thanks.

So, today its 60 degrees outside,...in Utah where I live, and mid-May. This is usually about 85 degrees or even 90 around this time of year. This will probably not last long, and become hot again. We have weird weather often. Utah weather is like gambling, you never know what will happen. Just 2 days ago it was really hot.

Anyway, this made me get into thinking mode again. And it so happens I'd seen some of the videos on Youtube done by people talking about how we are in a grand solar minimum. The post Covid-19 fear term for this is 'sun lock down'. I don't like that term because its sort of designed to inflame fear. I'm not afraid nor trying to cause fear. But the science of sunspots and weather patterns and sun cycles is genuine, as it affects us by space weather. Its very interesting if you get a chance to look at some of this data.

And it explains why what happened last year with the Midwest flooding, and why things have been getting weirder for the last 2 years+. (But it isn't global warming, which is kind of a fraud perpetrated by the elitist healthcare and science extortion racketeering schemes.)

Anyway, this had me wondering which breeds/types of potatoes grow easiest (as compared to other potatoes) when the weather is colder?

One of the great things about potatoes is that they can grow well even if it gets cold. (They are the ultimate tool for preparedness and self sufficiency).

I want to ask you all what you think about this? I especially hope to learn from you on this, and I recognize there are many gifted agriculture hobbyists and farmers back east, in the deep south, and even up north.

It would be good for me I think to be growing stuff that is somewhat cold hardy as a section of my garden. I don't mean that as any kind of fear stuff, but just anti-financial slavery. I very much dislike how people in the left, and people who are popular make out anyone that is just using common sense and doesn't want to be in financial bondage as some kind of cultists or weirdos also, or fear mongerers. This just isn't true.

Well, I hope by bringing up things to talk about I can help benefit some of you and vice versa.

As a side note; today I compared potatoes I'd stored in dirt about 4 weeks ago (?) with some potatoes I'd put in the windowsill to chit (to sprout). I wanted to see how healthy looking, and sickly looking they looked compared to each other. The ones that were stored under and fully packed in dirt looked noticeably much better than the ones that had nothing around them that I'd been trying to chit. (They were store bought non-seed, so they were slow chitting.)

For those of you who haven't tried sprouting your own potatoes (they call this chitting), feel free to ask about it here if you need to.

Also, I forgot to report on my last potato thread that I have gotten all kinds of store bought (to eat, non-seed) potatoes to chit (sprout) just fine, as if they were normal seed potatoes. I wanted to get people to know this as knowing this lets you do all kinds of experiments on your own. I've done them this way for over 3 years. However, they do TAKE LONGER to chit and sprout this way. (I also think there is a minor increased failure rate of possibly +10 to 15%, which is barely worth mentioning).

Thanks.
Hello potato pal! My first seed potatoes were leftover yukon golds i found under the sink that were bought at Walmart God knows when. It happened to be March so i figured what the heck and put the wrinkled, soft, sprouted spuds in the dirt to see what I'd get.
I harvested over 100lbs of big golden delicious future fries, chips, and baked potato goodness with enough left over to seed the following season. Ive been using the offspring of those original potatoes ever since.

We already talked about how I plant them in march and have had snow on them in april yet they still come back. This season we had frost on May 12th and my potatoes plants have rebounded great as usual.

I also plant red potatoes but only 1 row.

Hello potato pal! My first seed potatoes were leftover yukon golds i found under the sink that were bought at Walmart God knows when. It happened to be March so i figured what the heck and put the wrinkled, soft, sprouted spuds in the dirt to see what I'd get.
I harvested over 100lbs of big golden delicious future fries, chips, and baked potato goodness with enough left over to seed the following season. Ive been using the offspring of those original potatoes ever since.

We already talked about how I plant them in march and have had snow on them in april yet they still come back. This season we had frost on May 12th and my potatoes plants have rebounded great as usual.

I also plant red potatoes but only 1 row.
Do you think one type of potato is more cold hardy than others?

I like that you called them future fries. Totally thumbs up.

I found out if you put slicence up minced hamburger dill chips in Mayo and with a few other things this is almost better than fry sauce for them. (I might be forgetting a few things here but I basically mean the dip they use for fish and chips with them is aweeesoooommmme.) But few people in the US know this.

Its not just tarter sauce? Hmm...sounds good!
Only personal advice i have with potato varieties and cold weather is that the potatoes must have eyes and sprouts to grow in the cold wet springs of northeast and midatlantic. Eyes only in a really wet spring and germination can be much lower. My seed potatoes have sprouts at least one inch long at planting and the survival rate is nearly 100%.

Here is a link for all those interested for good potato varieties for various growing conditions.
https://www.highmowingseeds.com/blo...selecting-the-right-varieties-for-your-needs/

Keep reading about potato varieties. Some like high altitudes others are fine at sea level. Some ok with cold wet spring soils, most not.

Try calling your local extension office, or university. Some universities are big potato supporters when a state is a very high producer. Washington, idaho, etc.

Yukon Gold performs very well in the northwest, but is a poor producer in northeast comparatively.

Back
Top Bottom