cold hardy brown egg layers

I would go with Golden Comets. They are a nice looking red sex link that tend to lay an egg a day year around. They are hard to beat.

A lot of people like Black Astrolorps here, but I haven't had as much success with them personally, but if your looking for a black chicken these are an option for cold weather layers.

There are black sex links to, which don't seem quite as popular as the strains of red sex links, but they are dependable layers.

You could get a few of each to have a mixed flock. If you decide to do that I would add a barred hen, or two for aesthetic appeal. I'm not sure which of the barred breeds do best in winter, I'm sure someone will post a nice breed though.

Good Luck!

Editing to say that Comets tend to lay jumbo brown eggs, black sex link lay jumbo to large, astrolorps and the barred hens lay large...atleast these are my experiences.

Last edited:
HI! Most of the birds do fine here, I even have some that I thought would be iffy but they are doing great! As for brown eggs, Orps, Welsummers, Marans are some that I have in my flock.
Sly

I've got dark and light brahmas and they lay nice light brown eggs. I'm in Missouri and they do fine. Buff Orpingtons are good and hardy too.

well my winters are not that harsh but we get real nasty winds ranging from a slight breeze to around 60+ on somedays.

I also get really really hot summers - dessert heat

I have a light brahmas, silver laced cochins and both of them lay a nice brown egg - they range from very light to a medium brown - I even get a pinkish brown from the LB's. They seem to get very hardy birds and not to flighty very calm and friendly layers.

Julie

Back
Top Bottom