cold hardy brown egg layers

I would post on here and put in the title that you are in WV. Tuffoldhen is from that way I think and she's hatching. I'm over two hrs away. Or there is always hatching eggs.....That's the way I went.

The darkest egg layers are Marans. Haven't had any trouble with mine here in New Hampshire, so they should be fine in WV.

Don't know what it is, but brown eggs are just so much more interesting. I never get tired of collecting them.

We are in WV and we have Buff Orps, SL Wynodottes, light Brahma, Silkie, Easter Eggers. All have done very well this winter in a uninsulated shed. Not only are we cold here but we have some pretty bad wind. Just keep the drafts out and the coop dry...dry..dry..

I'm not telling you not to get part- or full-grown chickens if that's what you prefer, but remember that there is FAR more chance that they will come with parasites and/or diseases... whereas baby chicks usually start out parasite- and diseases-free.

Pat

Quote:
I want to add to this. I am getting Golden Comets this next time around because of their egg dependability and me knowing that they are pullets up front. I bought Rhode Island Red's this last time as straight run chicks. 8 out of the 12 chicks that I bought are roos.
hmm.png
Now, for this reason alone, I am going to recommend the sex link breeds of chickens. You will automatically know if they are a pullet or a roo. They are also excellent, early, dependable egg layers. I do not think you will be disappointed with any of the sex link breeds!

In WV you're not all that cold! Regardless, my Turken layed straight through an upstate NY winter in an uninsulated coop 5-6 eggs a week. My Lt Brahma was good, but more like 4-5/week and she probably wouldn't do as good in the heat.

The only way that I know to sex really early is to look at the wing feathers. I learned it from 'dirty job' where they interviewed a guy from McMurray's hatchery.

Seems that if the length of the little pin feathers is the same, it's a roo and if the pin feathers are two different lengths... short, long, short, long.... then it's a hen. I'm not saying that it's absolute, but it's the way that they sex them. I'm also told that you can look for a bump near the vent. My little hatchling has the same length pin feathers and a bump near the vent, so I do think he's a he. He's noisy too.

Back
Top Bottom