Cold help

Chicks17050

In the Brooder
Jun 15, 2018
So winter is around the corner how do I help them keep full of protection I know bugs and so on but how to help them play around like idk cabbage tied up to the roof but also when is to cold for them
Thare is only 4 they are golden sex links known for the cold and they coop only has the main walk way and a window/eggs spot that I can leave open and one I can the back also they are only 19 weeks old

Last edited:
Tell us where you live. Chickens do fine in winter here at 37 N latitude. They have down to keep them warm just like the wild birds. If you are in the far north, it may be different.

Last edited:
No I just asking how low can it go before having to help mine have extra fethers like a lot extra they are sex links meaning they do grate in winter but I know they be spoiled. With bugs
There are no hard numbers about cold temps.
Much depends on other aspects of your coop and climate.
So providing more info about your location and coop and flock will get you some advice.

I agree with the others - a general location (like what state you’re in if in the US, or what gardening zone) would help greatly.

Your chickens will start growing their extra fluff as the weather starts turning colder. That’s called acclimation. It happens gradually.

I’m in MN, and don’t even close the coop windows until it gets down to zero or so. They will go outside in all temperatures as long as they don’t have to walk in snow.

I agree with @SueT where do you live? What is the average temperature in winter there? I put hay bales around my coop but change the bales every other week so they don’t grow mold
And pensavanya it all depends on wether at times worst we get is I say 10 ish around thare all depending how bad the wether is and how can I give them soemthing to do like to keep them bussy isnted of jsut laying around

You don't have to do anything special. Sex links should be fine down to 20 below zero F. as long as they are properly acclimated. Chickens 'only' 19 weeks old are fully grown and can handle any weather a 1 year old bird can.
You need to be able to provide good ventilation with all the doors closed. They really only have coops to protect from predators and rain, not for warmth.

You don't have to do anything special. Sex links should be fine down to 20 below zero F. as long as they are properly acclimated. Chickens 'only' 19 weeks old are fully grown and can handle any weather a 1 year old bird can.
You need to be able to provide good ventilation with all the doors closed. They really only have coops to protect from predators and rain, not for warmth.
I keep the windows open and the coop door open they normlg sit on the fully open windows jsut relaxing or being to adorable cuddleing

I live in northern Iowa, which is both cold and extremely flat so that the winds have nothing to block them. I seem more worried about the cold than are my birds.

Like bobbi-j, I surround coops with hay bales though I don't change them out as often -- but should! This year, I am considering mounting some insulated panels on the north side of the coops and removing the panels in the spring.

They been out since they was 6 weeks

Back
Top Bottom