1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cold nighttime temps and pullets

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bappl, Mar 12, 2016.

1. bappl

bappl Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have a six, seven, and eight week old chick that I'd like to put outside in the coop. I've looked on here for an answer but haven't found any that match my weather conditions. So I decided to create a new thread to ask. All three chicks are well feathered especially the oldest. My youngest chick has maybe three or four fluffs left on her head and she'll be done. My weather has been very rainy. Nighttime temps have been in the mid 30's with daytime temps ranging from the mid 40's to the low 60's. I've wanted to put them into a coop with straw for their bedding but I haven't been sure if I should leave them out there due to all the rain and the nighttime temps. What do you guys think? Do you think they'd be fine outside? These are my three chicks: two pullets and a cockerel.

2. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    They'll be fine. I've had chicks younger than that out in temps like those without heat.

3. bappl

Wonderful! Thank you! That puts my mind at ease!

4. sean320

sean320 Out Of The Brooder

Agreed...I have been testing chick hardiness over the winter and have found that 3 week old chicks can thrive in sub freezing conditions in numbers. With fresh water, food and each others body heat, all is well. These were NH Reds, BA's and BR's. A good indication of well being is food consumption. Good luck.

5. ladyj02

ladyj02 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2016
    Topeka, Kansas

When you say "numbers", what kind of numbers are we talking? Im new to raising chicks so just curious.

6. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    I brood mine outside in the run from the start, and I'm up here in Northern Wyoming. Never an issue, even with temps in the teens and twenties. I don't use a heat lamp, just Mama Heating Pad, and they absolutely thrive!

7. bappl

"In numbers" means several chicks together as opposed to just two or three. :)

8. sean320

sean320 Out Of The Brooder

Anything more than a solo chick.

9. Lelilamom

Lelilamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2013
    Its important to remember for all chick raisers that going from an inside brooder with a heat lamp to an outside unheated coop with cooler temps is tricky with or without feathers. You'll have an easier time if you gradually reduce and then remove the heat lamp and introduce your pullets to the outdoors before moving them permanently to the coop.

10. susan6sw

susan6sw Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2014
    Brownbranch Missouri
    This is good information - thanks to all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by