Cold or hot?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Toi-toi, May 20, 2010.

1. Toi-toi

Toi-toi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Central MA
    I'm going out today for like 4hours.
    I'm worry about my chicks. Today is so hot day. It will be up around 87F.
    House is 72F right now but it will be up to 75-77F ish by the afternoon.
    If I keep light on for my 1 week old chicks, might get too hot for them while I'm gone.
    But I shut light off then temp drop to 78F in brooder.

Should I shut light off or keep on??

2. cambriagardener

cambriagardener Chillin' With My Peeps

You didn't say how old the chicks are. 72 degrees is too cool for chicks under a month old. Can you raise the lamp up so that they still have the proper warmth? [​IMG]

3. MareeZoCool

MareeZoCool Chillin' With My Peeps

Is there enough space for you to raise the lamp, so it won't be so hot inside? Just a thought, I've never used a brooder nor hatching kit.

4. Toi-toi

May 12, 2010
    Central MA
    My chicks are 1week old.
    I unplug light for while and dropped temp.
    So I guess I will keep on and take top cove off.
    Might help... Fingers crossed!!

5. cambriagardener

cambriagardener Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm sure they will be fine with a little heat. Mom's need to get away sometimes. Don't worry! [​IMG]

6. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Your brooder should be big enough that they aren't stuck under the light all the time so when they get too hot they just crowd the far end a little until it cools down again. You can also use different wattages of bulbs. I never move my lamps up or down. It's too complicated to find things to clip them on or brace them up and I'm not drilling a hole in my ceiling for the hanging ones. I just change the wattage of bulb every week. Start with 100w, then 75w, then 50w, then 40w, and finally a 20w tinted bulb that provides pretty much no heat and only a little light so they can adjust to nothing before turning it off.

7. Toi-toi

May 12, 2010
    Central MA
    My daughter came home before me and checked them, temp was fine. Thank GOD!

8. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    I have the same problem - my chicks are in a 'three season room' and it gets hot in there. I may have to move them into the garage this weekend. I am home tomorrow so I can open the windows, which keeps it about 80-85 in there so I turn off the light (they are almost three weeks old and seem quite comfy). I've also got all the shades drawn but I think when I am not home next week if it's going to be hot they might roast in there even with the windows open . I guess I am going to have to move the huge brooder to the garage. Anyone know how hot is too hot?

So far, they have shown no signs of heat problems (no panting, etc) and the box is on the floor out of any direct sunlight. but if it gets TOO hot outside.....

Last edited: May 20, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by