Cold or sick?

Smileybans

Crowing
Nov 13, 2020
Upstate New York
I’ve looked over other threads about this but haven’t really gotten an answer to my situation. It’s been fluctuating between cold and warm here for the past month. It’s NY after all. But this girl seems to always be shivering. She’s a four month old light Brahma. She sits like she’s sick but if her brother leaves the baby coop she will follow and bounce around after him.

At first I thought it was because she was low on the pecking order. She gets chased around when out of the baby coop and seeks me out to sit on my lap. Or follows close to her brother. Then I noticed she sits puffed up and shivers when I don’t let her out. Her poo is normal and she’s eating and drinking normal. But I don’t know if the shivering could be something else than just being cold.
Taken yesterday when it was 20F and windy.
5C80387C-0D76-4E53-B924-63B415043278.jpeg

Her poo
FBABC27C-457D-420C-9B5E-D9DB3AB1CCDA.jpeg
6A0658D2-76CB-4ECC-A9A6-ADDC8153E68B.jpeg
EFE0C3BE-A775-4367-927C-026CBE66730D.jpeg

Does her crop empty overnight? Can you notice any enlargement or fullness in her lower abdomen between the legs? Have you looked her skin over for any lice or mites? I would get some Poultry Cell or NutriDrench and give her 2 ml orally daily for the next 3 days to see if it helps. Are you feeding a balanced chick starter grower?

Last edited:
I have checked her for mites and lice and saw nothing. But that was last week so I will check her again. Her crop does empty and fill. I haven’t noticed any swelling in her abdomen but wasn’t really looking for it. I will look though. I feed her and everyone else purina flock raiser. I have the nutridrench and I’ll start her on that. Thank you.

How is she doing? Any improvmet with the Nutridrench?

I don't have advice either way, but she is beautiful, do you know her breed?
She’s a light Brahma and did much better while on the nutridrench. The shivering went away and she acted like a chicken. Once I stopped it she started acting weird again. The shivering didn’t come back but she didn’t want to run around the yard like the rest. She would only find some place to roost and stay there.
But now she’s fine. I didn’t restart the nutridrench and checked her constantly for mites. But she pulled out of whatever was going on. Hopefully it stays that way.

Back
Top Bottom