cold temperatures

Excellent! Thank you so much.
You are welcome. Chickens can handle cold pretty well. People forget that chickens wear a down coat all the time so warm temperatures are harder for them to deal with than cold. I figure if the sparrows can flit around when it's cold then the chickens should be even more comfortable in their protected run.

Will the chickens go into the coop if they are cold or do I have to lock them in.
It was 4 F (-16 C) when I took this photo. I leave my pop door open and let them decide what to do. If a cold wind were blowing they would not be out in it. Since it was calm they came out.
Ice.jpg

I'll include this photo. When my chickens wake up to a strange white world they don't go out in it. They don't like change and the world turning white overnight is pretty strange to them. But these chickens were already outside when the snow started. The change was gradual enough that they never bothered to go in.
Snow Feb 2013.JPG

I leave my pop door open and let them decide what they want to do. They know more about being chickens than I ever will.

My chickens are out of the coop no matter what the weather. Their run has 3 sides covered in clear vinyl to keep the breeze off them. They are outside when it's -26F. Doesn't bother them at all. No warmer in the coop anyway.
This is so encouraging to read! Tonight is 20F here and I’m worried about my girls. I have four wall set up with plastic all around and my girls too do NOT sleep in coops.. they sleep on top of them instead! My run is full covered so no snow or rain or drafts come in but I worry! Your response helps me! Thank you!
My chickens are out of the coop no matter what the weather. Their run has 3 sides covered in clear vinyl to keep the breeze off them. They are outside when it's -26F. Doesn't bother them at all. No warmer in the coop anyway.

Back
Top Bottom