1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

cold temperatures

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by mergatroid, Oct 1, 2009.

1. mergatroid

mergatroid New Egg

Jul 17, 2009
    Now that the temps are getting into the 30s and 40s here on Cape Cod I am wondering if I should turn the heat lamp on .... should I be keeping the heat lamp on throughout the winter? It raises the temp in the house to about 70 degrees. On another note.... I am trying to cut electricity bills... but would hate for my girls to be miserable.

2. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a friend in Iowa. No heat at all in his barn and his birds do fine. I wouldn`t worry unless the temps get into the teens for a while.......Pop

3. SimplyForties

SimplyForties Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Carroll County, Va
    What kind of chickens do you have? I can't imagine you would need to heat their coop to 70 degrees. Are they not cold hardy at all?

Last edited: Oct 1, 2009
  4. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    70 degrees seems a bit excessive. Trying to maintain that temp during the dead of winter is going to be difficult and expensive. Chickens are tough little creatures and as long as they are fully feathered they can handle temps much colder than that. SimplyForties is right in asking what breeds you have. Some are tougher than others.

Check out patandchickens pages. There is a ton of great info there, including how to manage chickens during the winter.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=1642

Last edited: Oct 1, 2009
  5. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    See my "Cold Coop" page, link below in my .sig, for a lot more on the subject...

but, Reader's Digest version, for heaven's sake DON'T DO IT. Don't even think of it, it's insane and not good for your chickens anyhow [​IMG]

Sensibly-chosen breeds in a well-managed coop (i.e. well ventilated, for *dry* not humid air) are generally good well towards 0 F, many are fine much colder than that. And that's *indoor* temps I'm talking about, which will generally be warmer than outdoor temps anyhow.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

6. Momo

Momo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2008
    Nelson BC
    Yep. Don't do it. Lots of posts about this lately; check 'em out... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by