Cold weather and egg laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gibsterl, Jan 23, 2013.

1. gibsterl

gibsterl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2012
    New Hampshire
    So my 6 chickens have been laying pretty well the last 6 weeks any where between 30 and 36 eggs a week. They have some supplemental light. 4 out of the 6 moulted this fall, the other 2 are about 34 weeks old. This week their laying has slacked off significantly with only 1 egg today-average count has been 4-5/day, all are eating and drinking well, active and happy but it has gotten bitterly cold with temps in the single digits and tonight in the minus 5 degree temp. Today's high was 13. I have been given them some high protein snacks....BOSS and dried meal worms. Fecal screen done 2 weeks ago was negative. I have 4 BRs and 2 New Hampshire's=so pretty winter hardy. So my question is: will egg laying drop off some during really cold temps so the girls can conserve energy? Similar to what they do when they moult?

2. LukensFarms

LukensFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2013
    Fort Collins, CO
    Yes.

3. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    The number of eggs I get in the winter is way lower than the amount I get in the spring and summer months. I think it is due to the change in the amount of light/length of day? but I'm not completely sure. Artificial lighting can be placed in the coop to increase egg laying in the winter, but since I get more eggs than I can eat, I let them have a break when winter comes around. Also if you go the artificial lighting route, be careful with the light and make sure it is well secured to avoid a fire.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by