Cold weather and egg laying

gibsterl

Chirping
10 Years
Sep 3, 2012
New Hampshire
So my 6 chickens have been laying pretty well the last 6 weeks any where between 30 and 36 eggs a week. They have some supplemental light. 4 out of the 6 moulted this fall, the other 2 are about 34 weeks old. This week their laying has slacked off significantly with only 1 egg today-average count has been 4-5/day, all are eating and drinking well, active and happy but it has gotten bitterly cold with temps in the single digits and tonight in the minus 5 degree temp. Today's high was 13. I have been given them some high protein snacks....BOSS and dried meal worms. Fecal screen done 2 weeks ago was negative. I have 4 BRs and 2 New Hampshire's=so pretty winter hardy. So my question is: will egg laying drop off some during really cold temps so the girls can conserve energy? Similar to what they do when they moult?

The number of eggs I get in the winter is way lower than the amount I get in the spring and summer months. I think it is due to the change in the amount of light/length of day? but I'm not completely sure. Artificial lighting can be placed in the coop to increase egg laying in the winter, but since I get more eggs than I can eat, I let them have a break when winter comes around. Also if you go the artificial lighting route, be careful with the light and make sure it is well secured to avoid a fire.

Back
Top Bottom