1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

COLD WEATHER AND EGG PRODUCTION

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cajunlizz, Dec 14, 2008.

1. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Well , we have close to 100 head in our flock . About 35 are really not old enough to start laying just yet . BUT the others are close to 9 months old and was only picking 3 - 5 eggs a day .

When the weather started gettign cold , DH installed lights inside both our coops and BINGO ..... We have started picking 18 eggs to 2 dozen a day .

Lights come on around 5:ish PM and off around 8:00 AM ... they still roosting and sleeping as usual , so I think they had their inner clocks backwards .... Looks like their DOWN TIME was during the summer months , but now we have jumped started the production . LOOK OUT FOR THE SPRING , they will all be laying by then . [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. spatcher

spatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Virginia - Southside
    Have 12 possible layers out of 30 hens-today all 12 came thru! Light is on from 4AM to 8AM.

3. cajunlizz

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    I also leave it on at night to warm the coops ... its real cozy in the coops for them

4. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    24 hours of light isn't very healthy for the chickens.

5. spatcher

spatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Virginia - Southside
    Mine are no heat energy savers! Dont seem to make a difference and they are not acclimated to the warm coop if the power goes out.

6. #1California Chick

#1California Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    Wow!! Lucky you!! I assume you sell the eggs??

7. cajunlizz

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    We sale eggs at the local flea market . $2.50 a dozen and neighbors buy eggs also . We have 2 permanent booths there every weekend . Been doing that since 2001

8. cajunlizz

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Quote:Have you tried adding light ? It just takes the chill out . PLUS the eggs have increased , BIG TIME

ALSO , if you have a rooster that is disturbing the hens , chasing , etc. will stop them from laying . Found that out the hard way .

Took the idiot OUT and just left the Alpha and they do alot better .

Last edited: Dec 14, 2008
  9. cajunlizz

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Quote:Well , they had their down time ( so to speak ) the whole summer . and besides its not a 200 watt bulb , its only 40 watt and they are still sleeping on the roost . It is sure not bright daylight in the coops . My chickens are very healthy, TYVM . [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by