Cold weather & ducks observation...

nao57

Crowing
Mar 28, 2020
This had me very curious to get feedback on, and see what others think and observe.

I've had ducks for 2 years now. They are awesome. Way more fun than chickens.

However, my duck group is split between black runners, and wealth harlequinns. Anyway why I'm bringing this up, it was cold below freezing and frost everywhere this morning. In my time with ducks over the last 2 years, this was the only time that I can recall ever coming out when there was cold, frost, etc and seeing their feathers frosted over. On the black ducks I saw frost on their tails...it wasn't frosted on their main body or upper body but just on the tail feathers, for maybe a 2 inch section on the black ducks. I couldn't tell if the others had it because they have mostly white on their bodies and tails. But for the black ducks its sort of obvious.

They had plenty of water and feed, and didn't seem to act too different. So I don't see them acting sick.

But I'm curious about this ...frost on them. I'd never seen this happen before. And I'm curious if its something to worry about or not? The black ducks are runners also, and therefore smaller than the others in weight so I don't know if this could mean they have a harder time with cold or not. (But this didn't come up last year...shrug.)

Anyway its kind of interesting.

The frost is not uncommon. In actuality it shows how well their feathers are insulating the body heat.
Thanks for the reply. It sure is interesting. And weird how they still like water at these low temperatures.

Back
Top Bottom