cold weather &heat lamps

Quote:
I too have a red heat lamp in my coop. I also have a 11 watt red sign lap bulb in the coop, I leave the sign lamp bulb on 24/7. I had it on a timer until my timer died. They got used to the light. I average 4/5 eggs a day for every 6 of my girls. I go check on them once in awhile and I had a critter cam in the coop and watched them on my TV. On really cold nights I add the red heat lamp above an area of their roosts, but leave the other light on too.
yippiechickie.gif

cmom, thanks so much for responding. I have a 25 watt white light that comes on at 6 a.m., and then I'll do the red heat light when it's good and cold. what do you consider cold enough to run the heat light?
hmm.png

Quote:
-10°F.

Seriously. We got down to 5°F night before last, and I still had 7 girls sleeping outside. The only heat in the coop is a 40 watt bulb facing the waterer to keep it from freezing... that's it. Girls are fine.
wink.png

I would use heat light day or night if it is below freezing. I have my heat lamps hanging from a very secure chain from the roof so I won't worry so much about a accidental fire. I bought the lenghts of chain by the foot at hardware store where they sell chain to hang lamps in your house.

I try to stay away from heat lamps period. There has been many cases of coop fires due to them. I also want my animals accustomed to the cold. Ice storms can kill power for days. if the animals are accustomed to heat lamps they may freeze when you lose power. I keep my barn draft free and go deep on pine straw in cold weather. If it gets really cold you can vaseline the combs to prevent frostbite.

Are people suffering from the "Mom's cold" syndrome? Momma's cold, so the kids have to be cold too, and must must must put on a sweater???

lol.png
Chickens come equipped with down coats...

Wow thanks everybody for all the great input. We're only in KS. and it can get chilly, not nearly as cold as Alaska. And that is so true abou if the electricity goes off. I had thought about that possibility too so I don't think I'll heat it unless it is crazy cold. They have plenty of hay and straw and pine chips on the floor. So I guess we'll just wait it out till summer.
D.gif

My coop is not insulated either. I only use a heat lamp for the water to keep it from freezing. As long as you have a good depth of bedding in there and it is draft free everything will be fine. Heat lamps over roosts cause sickness in birds. You aren't doing them any favors by doing this, you are actually killing them with kindness.

Back
Top Bottom