1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cold weather influencing egg production?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BYCoop, Nov 16, 2014.

1. BYCoop

BYCoop Out Of The Brooder

Jan 18, 2014
    High up in Colorado
    Our chicken has been laying an egg a day for a while, but suddenly she stopped. We are getting...wait for it...squat. It has been very cold here for the week whe hasn't been laying, does that have something to do with it? And should I be concerned at all?

2. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    Join the club. I haven't seen an egg in a week.

3. BYCoop

BYCoop Out Of The Brooder

Jan 18, 2014
    High up in Colorado
    Consider said club to be "joined".

4. Aorelly

Aorelly New Egg

Nov 16, 2014
    New Jersey
    Do you have a heat lamp or a light in your coop?

5. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    A week? :lau
    I've gotten 2 eggs since my flock started molting.....about 2 months ago!

1 person likes this.
  6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    The not laying could be because of lack of daylight. Sometimes first year layers will lay all winter without supplemental lighting, sometimes they won't.
    Older layers need 14-16 hours of light to lay regularly thru winter. Last winter I used a 40 watt incandescent light(this year I am using a CFL) that comes on early in the morning to provide 14-15 hours of light and they go to roost with the natural sundown. Last year I started the lighting increase a bit late(mid October), the light should be increased slowly, and the pullets didn't start laying until late December. Here's pretty good article on supplemental lighting. Some folks think that using lighting shortens the years a hen will lay, I don't agree with that theory but I also plan to cull my older hens for soup at about 3 years old.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by