Cold weather..low egg production?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chicamama, Dec 26, 2008.

1. chicamama

chicamama Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Topanga Ca
    I was getting about 4 eggs per day this summer (I have 4 hens). Now I'm down to maybe 1 per day?
    Cold weather? Wind? Rain?
    Should I change anything?

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

It's 90% of the light. You don't have to do anything. Just let them rest for the winter! Perfectly normal.

3. chicamama

Mar 12, 2008
    Topanga Ca
    Quote:ahhhh...thanks!
    That makes sense. I thought they were getting mad becuase I was not out there with hot toddies.

4. xke4

xke4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2007
    Some people augment the amount of light they get in the winter but I prefer to let them rest. I don't eat the eggs so production is not an issue.

5. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    I add a few hours of light in the morning and night to help them keep laying, Chickens need about 14 hours of light a day to lay good !!

6. mcg30_40

mcg30_40 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    alabama
    I agree light is a major issue. I have a light on mine to keep up the laying but I've also learned that if a weather front or storm is coming through they will not lay. I have approx 20 hens and can go from 12 eggs to 4 in a matter of 24 hours. If it's raining or a major temp change (in AL it goes from 70deg to 20 in a matter of hours) then they won't lay that day.

7. luvmygirlsinAK

luvmygirlsinAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    North Pole, Ak
    Quote:Had the same thing happen today to me! Plenty of eggs yesterday, and was starting to get the same amount-bam-bam-bam![​IMG] until I opened the window wide for ventilation while fluffing up the shavings, and the temp. dropped about 20 degrees outside in a couple hours time-and along with it, the eggs!!! (With the lights on 14 hours a day) The girls were all fluffed up!!! Just a little protest, I guess!! luv 'em anyway!! [​IMG]

8. Leah-yes I know I'm crazy

Leah-yes I know I'm crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    Skidway Lake, MI
    I've gone from 1 1/2 to 2 doz/day down to four. After the holdiay baking used up the reserves hubby went to the fridge to make eggs for breakfast yesterday and there were none to be had. He was so confused. "What do you mean we don't have any eggs? Are you sure we don't have any eggs? Have you got them sitting in a basket somewhere?"
    A month ago we had so many we ran out of space in the fridge.

9. chicamama

Mar 12, 2008
    Topanga Ca
    Leah-yes I know I'm crazy :

I've gone from 1 1/2 to 2 doz/day down to four. After the holdiay baking used up the reserves hubby went to the fridge to make eggs for breakfast yesterday and there were none to be had. He was so confused. "What do you mean we don't have any eggs? Are you sure we don't have any eggs? Have you got them sitting in a basket somewhere?"
    A month ago we had so many we ran out of space in the fridge.

haha...I had to buy a dozen yesterday. Oh well, they can rest up.​

10. legacyln

legacyln Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2008
    Jefferson City, MO
    "What do you mean we don't have any eggs? Are you sure we don't have any eggs? Have you got them sitting in a basket somewhere?"

Same here!! Had to run out at 10pm the night before Christmas Eve to buy eggs for all my cookie batters.

Of course I bought the pricey"cage free"-- can never buy those pathetic white things from the CAFO chickens again.

I basically shattered the first store egg into a million peices-- never realized what a difference there is in the strength of the shells, the store eggs are paper thin compared to home eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by