Cold Weather Waterer

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by herfrds, Jan 18, 2011.

1. herfrds

herfrds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2010
    Montana
    I have always had trouble with freezing water. I bought the waterer heating pans for the waterers to sit on, but I have found the them froze.
    I just bought a different waterer that is like the heated water dishes for dogs. Seemed to be working.

This morning I went to get it to fill it and it had a hole on top of it.

What does everyone do when everything freezes quickly?

2. KingJamesIV

KingJamesIV Out Of The Brooder

Jan 5, 2011
    Indiana Pa
    I use a five gallon bucket with poultry nipples in the bottom of it. I realized that I will have to do something in the winter. We just spent about 2 months with only about a week where the temp was above freezing. I went to tractor supply and got a tank heater. It is an aluminum block that is attached to a thermostat. You submerge that in the bottom of your tank and plug it in. I doesn't let the water get below freezing. Also with the five gallon bucket they can't poop in it so the water is always clean. Good luck

3. ARose4Heaven

ARose4Heaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Flippin, AR
    Is your waterer outdoors? I have mine inside the unheated run..with roof and snowboards on sides. I put cookie-tin heater inside an old tire and set my 6 gallon plastic waterer on that. I never fill the waterer more than 3/4 full. Sometimes get some ice up high in the waterer, but the drinking tray at the bottom stays thawed. Also get some issues with the lid freezing on the thing, but I just up-end it in a bucket of hot water for a minute, and it comes right off.

4. cabincrazyone

cabincrazyone Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2010
    NE Minnesota
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2011
  5. Farmington

Farmington Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2009
    Northeast Ohio
    I spent the $40 bucks on a 3 gal. heated waterer, and I'm glad I did. Hasn't froze on me once, and we've had some below zero temps at night. It's an indoor use only deal, so it stays in the coop, where it is slightly warmer than the outside, of course.

6. TomG

TomG Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Lake Oswego
    I got tired of refilling the frozen water font twice a day an bought an electric one. Here is a link to what I bought. Naturually things warmed up after I got it so I have to assume it will work.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2011
  7. hencrazy

hencrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    I always use the heated dog bowls and they have never froze - it got to -31 F here last winter. I have tried pretty much everything else and these work the best for me.

8. chickencraig

chickencraig New Egg

Jan 18, 2011
    I built a cool auto water-er this summer using a toilet valve inside a plastic bin. A 1.5" PVC pipe went from one coop to the other, and turned up so the chickens can drink. I wrapped it with heat strip, but the heat strip was no match for a few nights at sub 20's temperatures. it has busted to pieces, so I'm back to 3 gallon buckets with a brooder lamp 2 foot over top. This works very nicely.

9. newchicksnducks

newchicksnducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:This is the same one I purchased, only from Meyer Hatchery in OH. I've used it for two winters, and have had no problem with it. [​IMG] I do us it strictly indoors.

10. codyrhodes

codyrhodes Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2011
    Gresham
    I put mine under a heat lamp and it seems to work fine. i also have a water pan that you just set a five gallon bucket on top of and if it freezes i just change out the buckets

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by