Cold weather

You might want to get a thermometer that also shows the humidity. Humidity inside the coop should be about the same as outside the coop.
Just FYI... I have a digital thermometer/hygrometer that needs a battery. It goes haywire at about 20 degrees F. So maybe get an old fashioned analog model.

Ideal is about 1 sq ft of vent per bird about 12 inches above the roosts.

Just FYI... I have a digital thermometer/hygrometer that needs a battery. It goes haywire at about 20 degrees F. So maybe get an old fashioned analog model.
I had one of those fancy digital ones for my incubator and I never did trust it. Call me old fashioned but I'd rather use the analog stuff I know is set correctly when I calibrate it.

Silly question, what do you mean by square feet of ventilation? Is that essentially just measuring height and width of the open spaces?

Yes. 1 square foot is 1 foot wide and 1 foot tall. Or 2 feet wide and 6 inches tall. Or 4 feet wide and 3 inches tall. Or a triangle under your gable peak that is 2 feet wide at the bottom and one foot tall.

If you're measuring odd sizes in inches you can convert your square inches to square feet here.

Ideal is about 1 sq ft of vent per bird about 12 inches above the roosts.

That's a good guideline, but your climate may vary.

My sweltering, humid-hot, 95-95 summers require double or triple that ventilation and as much height as practical -- unless it's a monitor roof in deep shade.

Back
Top Bottom