Cold weather

nhorrin

Chirping
12 Years
Mar 12, 2011
In past years (about 20) I have had many types of chickens. I have raised meat birds, sex links for eggs, old fashion New Hampshires, R. I. Reds, Plymouth Rocks and mixed Bantams. All of this took place in Southern New Hampshire. I now live in Northern New Hampsire about 10 miles from the Canadian border. I live in an open field with great mountain views but needless to say very cold tempertures and wind. It is not uncommon in winter for the temperture to dip to -20F. and the wind to blow at 30MPH. I am now retired and want to raise chickens again. I have been thinking about a small flock (25) of bantams. I need to build a coop and run and was wondering if anyone had experience with this type of weather. Can bantams withstand this weather or would I be better off with a large breed. Other questions are: Insulated copp? Heated coop? I've dealt with frozen water and frozen combs in the past. Thanks in advance for any advice.

welcome-byc.gif
There are many threads on here about these topics and you will get answers both ways an each. Personally I have an insulated coop with a small radiant heater on a thermostat that keeps it a few degrees warmer than outside. I also have the run blocked on a couple of sides so they can be out of the weather when outside.....

welcome-byc.gif
Welcome to BYC nhorrin! 10 miles from Canada, eh?? Are you in Pittsburg?? Love it up there!! Anyways, back to your question, I think you might be better off w/ large breeds as opposed to banties. I would definately go w/ an insulated coop, but not a heated one. AS long as the chickens can get away from the wind & they are dry, I don't feel they need heat. I am south of you in MA, not nearly as brutal as winters up in the north country, my girls did fine this winter w/ all the snow we had. On the coldest day we had, it was -8f, they were all out bopping around in their run like it was a beach day. I did have 3 sides of the run covered w/ plastic sheeting to stop some of the winds, but I only put heat in their coop 1x because they got wet in the rain. I guess I lucked out, no one got frost bite on their combs & my hubby made me a cookie tin water heater that kept the h2o from freezing. Good luck w/ your chickies!!
welcome-byc.gif

Sorry I haven't thanked you folks yet for the information. Not real computer savey! I live in East Colebrook about 9 miles southeast of the Canadian border. It does get cold here and I'm getting some good ideas on coop design. Thanks to all!!

Back
Top Bottom