cold

gapeachy

Songster
11 Years
Oct 21, 2008
Rome Ga
you people up north battling the snow and ice and wind....call me a whimp if you want to but 18 degrees outside watering and feeding the chickens is dang cold.....water faucets frozen

Hey gapeachy,

Its a love you can't really explain. I was raised in Florida. Moved to Vermont when I was 45. Most people thought we were crazy. I have a daughter in Atlanta. Its 8 here right now and my chicks are at a cozy 26. We built the coop close to the house so going out isn't too bad.

My part of Colorado usually doesn't get below freezing, but it has been just that for the last 2 nights. I am rotating water buckets because they keep freezing solid. I think I am going to have to invest in one of those heated dog water bowls everyone has been talking about.

gig.gif
its -16 here now, I just came in from opening up the chickens, filled up a water bucket outside (that won't last long) and gave the horse and goat a carrot each.

Chickens came out no problem, they do stick to the path I shoveled in the snow, but they're pretty brave... they also head straight for the horse barn once the scratch is gone!
gig.gif

It wouldn't be so bad here in GA had it not been so warm yesterday. It was 70 yesterday, then bam!, it's 18 this morning. I used the overnight decline to acclimate myself. I have a 10 lb Boston butt on the grill, so I've been going out every hour or two since yesterday evening. It's so cold out that the darn thing still isn't done. It's looking like I'm going to finish out the second propane tank cooking this thing.

Its freezing up here! I'm in NE Minnesota...Lucky for me, I'm pregnant, so my husband goes out and does the chores
big_smile.png

There is so much snow on the ground.

-15 degrees here right now in MN. Just ran out to check on the chickens - They seem to have made it through the night just fine. They're looking for treats, though. Lots of corn, and oatmeal.

I'm in Ga and last time I looked, that was in the Deep South. It was FIVE degrees this a.m. I do live at 2000 ft altitude, though, yet, that is darn cold for here in December. Supposed to be 60 degrees Thursday. What a seesaw!

speckledhen, 5 is cold freezes water solid.....here in Rome the lowest it got was 18....we are not high in elevation....of course I live on a mountain so we might have been colder.....my dil still has not had the baby due christmas day....so this cold morning she decides to have pain so on this cold morning off to the hospital they go....maybe today will be the day....

Back
Top Bottom