Colddddddddddddd.

donkeydew2farms

Crowing
8 Years
Apr 12, 2014
we got some snow last night and it is in the teens. my ducks and geese aren't moving much I put hay out and they won't get off it but it didn't stop them from laying I have been getting two to three eggs a day. that's what I had for breakfast . if you look close you can see
see an egg.

we got some snow last night and it is in the teens. my ducks and geese aren't moving much I put hay out and they won't get off it but it didn't stop them from laying I have been getting two to three eggs a day. that's what I had for breakfast . if you look close you can see
see an egg.
Have to get those eggs fast at those temps. They look cozy despite the temps.

Its -10C plus the windchill, feels like close to -20C here today. I had to bring my ducks into the garage as they were constantly sitting down. I'm not sure if its the temps they don't like or the wind. Any ideas for a wind proof daytime shelter (as they never go inside their house unless it's night and its bedtime)?? How do I know if they are cold?

Its -10C plus the windchill, feels like close to -20C here today. I had to bring my ducks into the garage as they were constantly sitting down. I'm not sure if its the temps they don't like or the wind. Any ideas for a wind proof daytime shelter (as they never go inside their house unless it's night and its bedtime)?? How do I know if they are cold?
Some kind of wind blocks will help. Mine won't go in either but even at 16* mine are all out there laying on their feet and legs. That's how they keep them warm. The rest of their bodies is covered in down and feathers. Ever slept under a down comforter? I think some kind of wind block some use tarps but high winds can tear them up pretty quick, left over metal roofing would work I used an old door and a unused piece of T111 and made a wind block at our wood shed. I put saw horses up for the chickens and on really cold windy days they hunker down behind there so do some of the ducks The others just lay on their legs or get under the chicken coop that is on legs. I took old metal roofing and block the west side where we get most of our wind from. It's usually the wind they don't like and most with experience say to make your shelter so they can get out of the wind [3 sided] or at least have that choice. Shivering is best way to tell if they are cold. Head scrunched down when walking. I wouldn't let them get into any water when that cold.

Some kind of wind blocks will help. Mine won't go in either but even at 16* mine are all out there laying on their feet and legs. That's how they keep them warm. The rest of their bodies is covered in down and feathers. Ever slept under a down comforter? I think some kind of wind block some use tarps but high winds can tear them up pretty quick, left over metal roofing would work I used an old door and a unused piece of T111 and made a wind block at our wood shed. I put saw horses up for the chickens and on really cold windy days they hunker down behind there so do some of the ducks The others just lay on their legs or get under the chicken coop that is on legs. I took old metal roofing and block the west side where we get most of our wind from. It's usually the wind they don't like and most with experience say to make your shelter so they can get out of the wind [3 sided] or at least have that choice. Shivering is best way to tell if they are cold. Head scrunched down when walking. I wouldn't let them get into any water when that cold.
So i guess laying down is normal then, i always feel SOOOO sorry for them and bring them inside.....it's just I only have 2 ducks (plus a call duck that lives in the garage and doesn't come outside when its this cold), and those 2 never sit side by side cuddled together, they always leave a distance between them. They are not keeping each other warm at all. When they sit like that they don't eat much, always worries me because if they dont eat they won't gain fat to keep warm. Lol. Funny, my drake has a fat pouchy between his legs, it looks like a boat keel!
lau.gif

I've never seen them shiver yet. I'll go looking for scrap materials to make them a wind shelter
big_smile.png
Thank you for suggestions!

I have had to do the same its not that cold here but my calls just couldn't take the cold so they are in the garage until it's warm

Any ideas for a wind proof daytime shelter (as they never go inside their house unless it's night and its bedtime)??
I'm using an xl dogloo and a wooden xxl dog house for my hens. I have a deep straw bedding layer so their feet arent directly on the snow/frozen ground.

You can use straw bales to make a wind break or to insulate an existing structure. Or you can tie down a tarp securely (so it doesnt flap in the wind) to block the wind on one side of their enclosure.

My girls lay down and cluck to each other when its below 20. They need to keep their legs warm.

Poof and his fat pouchy that makes him look like a boat with a keel, hiding in the garage away from the cold!
He is adorable He looks very happy and as long as you have the room for your other 2 in the garage keep them in there. Amiga uses a walk out basement as her night pen. What ever works go for it.

It is funny the first thing my ducks and geese do when I let them out in the morning is take a bath it was 13 * out and I just cleaned and filled there tub [ rubber feed tub] . I thought how many ducks can fit in this tub. HA about 4 and 2 geese had to laugh. they can't be to cold. I put hay or straw down so they are off the ground a little. I have a hoop coop with a tarp over it. but I need a bigger and heavier tarp . I have 2 dog houses but they use it to lay eggs. I want the spring.

Back
Top Bottom