collecting eggs to put in the incubator

christytrav

Songster
11 Years
Jan 11, 2009
KASILOF, ALASKA
New to all this. I have tons of questions on the proper care of the eggs before I put them in the incubator. It is cold here, getting up to 40 during the day but as low as 5 still during the night. I collected my first egg when I got home tonight (it's about 30 degrees out) it had probably been sitting in the box for a few hours. Wasn't frozen and actually didn't feel real cold. Could it still be viable? If so can I just keep it at room temp now? I will be home tomorrow so I should be able to get the egg before it sits out there too long.
Would love to know how you all do this part.

Your egg should still be viable. Ideally you want them to be stored in a slightly humid room with good ventilation and an average temperature of around 50 F. Rotate them once or twice a day to prevent the yolk from sticking to side. Try not to store over 2 weeks as this will greatly reduce hatchability. You can candle them to see how much the air cell has grown (large air cells are older eggs).

We've been collecting out of our unheated barn since February. We don't keep any frozen eggs, but everything else has been fertile and hatched so far.

I need one more to balance my tray inthe Brinsea, so I pulled a Buckeye egg out of the refrigerator--it is going to hatch Friday!

Back
Top Bottom