Color Genes Punnett Squares

I always use uppercase GENE symbol and lowercase ALLELE symbol if recessive (uppercase if dominant). Example Mo-gene or Mo-locus, but mo = mottled
To use lowercase gene symbol when the first or only allele is recessive does not make sense to me. A gene or locus is not dominant or recessive on its own.
There are genes/loci that have multiple alleles that are dominant to wildtype and recessive to the wildtype allele.
Remains the problem what case to give to the wildtype allele... ;)
Explains why there is a new notation. :)
Read this.

http://www.biomedcentral.com/content/pdf/1297-9686-28-3-289.pdf

Not everyone is on board with the new nomenclature. I have read papers dated past the year 2000 that still use the classic genotypes. And some even use lower case letters in a grandfathered genotype. For example, I*I is dominant white, I*S is smokey, I*D is dun and I*i is wild type.

Tim

Thanks, I would be interested in the old nomenclature article too ...
wink.png

Right this seems like the place to ask.... Will my lavender araucana carry the silver gene, so that her gold silkie filled eggs will make sex link chicks?

Right this seems like the place to ask.... Will my lavender araucana carry the silver gene, so that her gold silkie filled eggs will make sex link chicks?
I'm not 100% sure of what you mean by "gold filled eggs," but lavender can have either gold or silver ground, and silkies can also be either gold or silver ground. Now if you mean a buff or red or partridge silkie (all of which would be gold) over a lavender araucana that you KNOW is silver, yes, the boys would have golden and the girls silver ground, but you would not necessarily know that at hatching. You are mixing too many genes that could (and probably would) hide the chick's ground colour.

Quote: Tim, are they proposing renaming all of the classic gene names with a new system? I don't think that will ever fly with the backyarders because we are all told to read the classics which use the heretofore accepted nomenclature. Frankly, new wording is ok for those research geeks, but I had enough trouble learning the classic naming system for genes. I don't think things will change for backyarders until someone publishes and easy-to-read copious volume on chicken breeding with the old and new nomenclature side by side.
Best,
Karen

Back
Top Bottom