Color genetics questions

Hi friends! I've been playing with the chicken calculator and am starting to get the hang of it. I'm curious about a few potential crosses I'm planning.

First is Welsummer × Hatchery Red Naked Neck
What color pattern could I expect in the offspring? Is the "wild-type" coloring of the Welsummer a dominant trait?
I know this could be tricky because I don't know the exact lineage of the NN they are colored similar to a New Hampshire a lighter red body with black in the tails.

Second cross is Partridge Rock × the same Hatchery Red Naked Necks

Finally, I'd like to try and recreate some of the color patterns seen in the 'Aloha Chicken' line. Mostly buff Mille Fleur types in a large fowl. Could I theoretically cross Speckled Sussex (Which if I understand correctly are a Millefleur pattern with a mahogany base color) with something like a Buff Rock and achieve a similar look?

Thanks in advance for any tips!

Finally, I'd like to try and recreate some of the color patterns seen in the 'Aloha Chicken' line. Mostly buff Mille Fleur types in a large fowl. Could I theoretically cross Speckled Sussex (Which if I understand correctly are a Millefleur pattern with a mahogany base color) with something like a Buff Rock and achieve a similar look?
Buff Rock is probably not a good choice. Try using chickens that show gold color and also have some black (Buff Columbian, Gold Laced, Gold Spangled, etc.) The first generation of crossed chicks should not show the speckling (caused by the mottled gene), but if you breed the crosses to each other or back to the Speckled Sussex, you should get some speckled chicks in the next generation.

Some years ago, I read an article about the Aloha chickens, and the breeder mentioned that crossing to solid Buff chickens did not work well. I think the explanation was that genes to suppress any black or white color (to get solid Buff) were also blocking the pretty spotting pattern in their descendants (even two generations later, when the recessive mottling gene was expected to be visible in some offspring.)

Back
Top Bottom