1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Color of egg changes after being in fridge.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jaymejojos, Dec 31, 2015.

1. jaymejojos

jaymejojos In the Brooder

Jun 11, 2015
    Kansas
    So today after I gathered our daily egg from the nest box I brought it inside to plop in the fridge. And I noticed something strange - the eggs that have been in the fridge for about a week have started to change colour slightly. The eggs are originally a light speckled brownish/pink. After being in the fridge for a week they have evened out in colour (the speckles are gone), lightened slightly and have a mottled appearance on the top of the egg. Is this normal? Do I need to be worried about my girl.

Currently we only have one girl laying eggs so I know they are all coming from her.

2. MadamPoofyBrow

MadamPoofyBrow Songster

Jun 15, 2015
    I have one Silkie hen who lays speckled eggs, and after a little while in the fridge the speckles are gone. I've always wondered about it, but we eat and hatch her eggs like any others, so I guess it's fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by