Color question -- do you think this one has some silver (grey)?

CovidtimeQuail

Highly quailified
Nov 28, 2020
Honolulu, HI
I crossed two pairs of birds in my last hatching. One set was grau falb fee (f) with Tibetan (m).
The other set was Italian (f) with scarlet/range (m)

I kept this one male. Do you think it has any silver/grey gene in it? Is it from the grau falb fee/Tibetan cross?

!.png

g

Last edited:
I crossed two pairs of birds in my last hatching. One set was grau fee (f) with Tibetan (m).
The other set was Italian (f) with scarlet/range (m)

I kept this one male. Do you think it has any silver/grey gene in it? Is it from the grau fee/Tibetan cross?

View attachment 2721620
It doesn’t look like it. Usually the silver ones will have silver in place of black. Since you have a nice strong black in there, it’s unlikely. It doesn’t sound like you had a silver bird in the mix, and silver from SSC is dominant, so it isn’t something that would be carried and not seen. The Italian will usually show thru pretty significantly in at least half the offspring, since it’s dominant also, but since it is only one copy it may not have received any Italian, so it’s hard to say. You can cross it to roux hens, and if you get any roux males, you’ll know he carries roux.

It doesn’t look like it. Usually the silver ones will have silver in place of black. Since you have a nice strong black in there, it’s unlikely. It doesn’t sound like you had a silver bird in the mix, and silver from SSC is dominant, so it isn’t something that would be carried and not seen. The Italian will usually show thru pretty significantly in at least half the offspring, since it’s dominant also, but since it is only one copy it may not have received any Italian, so it’s hard to say. You can cross it to roux hens, and if you get any roux males, you’ll know he carries roux.
Isn't falb fee part silver? Or does that color come from another gene?

Isn't falb fee part silver? Or does that color come from another gene?
The fee gene is different from the silver gene. Fee removes and/or dilutes brown and red tones, so a pharaoh or Tibetan/Rosetta bird with 2 copies of fee will usually only have black and gray tones, a roux bird will be lighter red tones. Fee comes from the German pastel collection I believe. Falb fee is wild pattern like pharaoh with the fee gene, and grau fee is range pattern with fee.

Then maybe my silver/grey bird isn't falb fee? What is it? A bigger picture of her is below.

I know for certain the second picture is one of her offspring with the Tibetan male. It's a very light grey. From picture comparisons, I'd call it lavender but I'm told that's a totally different line of genes. I think one of the members called it a silver/gold cross.

I guess the reason I'm trying so hard to figure out what set of parents the bird in the first picture came from is that it would tell me whether I have a 100% chance of a male celadon with 2 genes or a 87% + percent of a celadon with 2 genes.

silverquail.png
silverquailoffspring.png

Last edited:
Then maybe my silver/grey bird isn't falb fee? What is it? A bigger picture of her is below.

I know for certain the second picture is one of her offspring with the Tibetan male. It's a very light grey. From picture comparisons, I'd call it lavender but I'm told that's a totally different line of genes. I think one of the members called it a silver/gold cross.

I guess the reason I'm trying so hard to figure out what set of parents the bird in the first picture came from is that it would tell me whether I have a 100% chance of a male celadon with 2 genes or a 87% + percent of a celadon with 2 genes.

View attachment 2721906View attachment 2721907
If the second picture is definitely from her egg, then she could be carrying a silver gene.
With the first one being a Rosetta pattern, however, I would put it more likely from the red range x italian cross.

That gray bird that’s her chick could be silver or a different type of gray, unless you know the lineage it’s not possible to tell which by looking at them really. If that bird is lavender, each parent would need 1 copy, but it can be carried without being seen. If it’s silver, then only one parent needs it, but it isn’t carried without being seen, the silver parent would have to be silver. To me, your hen looks like a falb fee, but the photo only shows a small portion of her. Also keep in mind, a hen can store semen for up to 2 full weeks, so if she was with any other roo in the 2 weeks prior, the chicks could be from him. You can try to determine which gene by breeding them, but you would need to cross the falb fee hen or her gray offspring to birds that you are certain do not carry any unseen recessives, and if you have lavender in your flock, there’s no way to know who has an unseen copy. If you cross to birds you are certain don’t carry any type of gray, you would get no gray offspring from a lavender, and half your chicks will be gray if it’s silver.

I should know a lot more in the next few weeks. I used the same silver/grey and Tibetan pair for 50% of my upcoming hatch. TBH, the last hatch didn't turn out anything like what I expected, but I had more ?? genes in that pool than this one.

I suspect falb fee is some combo of silver since it seems to pop out at least 50% silver/grey babies so far. I really need to hatch more to find out, but I've already been warned about the hatching addiction.

Back
Top Bottom