Color Question & Update

FluffyFeathers97

Chirping
Sep 22, 2019
Florida
So my squabs are officially all filled out with their feathers now and looking very pretty! (And eating seed and drinking on their own). I'm curious about the one squab, though. I thought they were just both going to be that traditional gray/blue color, but the one squab has been getting darker and darker colors. She also has a different style beak, which is odd! The mother is Ash red and the father is gray/blue. Just curious as to what the squabs color is called? Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20200304_194827871.jpg
    IMG_20200304_194827871.jpg
    520.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20200304_194840376.jpg
    IMG_20200304_194840376.jpg
    496 KB · Views: 9
So my squabs are officially all filled out with their feathers now and looking very pretty! (And eating seed and drinking on their own). I'm curious about the one squab, though. I thought they were just both going to be that traditional gray/blue color, but the one squab has been getting darker and darker colors. She also has a different style beak, which is odd! The mother is Ash red and the father is gray/blue. Just curious as to what the squabs color is called? Thanks!
The first is a blue bar, the second looks to be a blue checkered.

the first is a blue bar. They secomd, looks like a black check, like this bird:
IMG_20190807_101602.jpg
IMG_20190823_141207.jpg

are these form the same clutch? If so, that is odd. A hen ash red to a male blue should produce sex-linked birds. If the young bird is blue, it's a male, if the young bird is red, it's a hen.

@biophiliac ?

the first is a blue bar. They secomd, looks like a black check, like this bird: View attachment 2042277View attachment 2042278

are these form the same clutch? If so, that is odd. A hen ash red to a male blue should produce sex-linked birds. If the young bird is blue, it's a male, if the young bird is red, it's a hen.

@biophiliac ?
Yeah they both hatched in the same clutch, a day apart. The darker squab also has a much larger beak and different head shape. Weird! 🤔

the first is a blue bar. They secomd, looks like a black check, like this bird: View attachment 2042277View attachment 2042278

@biophiliac ?
You have the sex linkage backwards. Cockbirds will be redand hens blue/black.
Blue and black are the same color. These should both be hens if mother is ash red and dad blue/black.

Back
Top Bottom