color question

Quote:
i was saying white b/c i have M.G. matched up with E.W. and wondered what would come of those resulting birds being matched with BR.

if you bred MG to BR and got birds that had markings of both what would happen if you bred the MG/BR X with E.W.? I understand that X of the BR to white gets Tuxedoes ..that's right isn't it? Would the MG?BR X EW result in any Tux?

It can take many tries to get the tux markings where you like it. The white can appear anywhere in the first generation and then you breed that generation on
smile.png
It's a long process but so worth it
smile.png

i LOOOOOOOVE the Tux look !
love.gif
love.gif
They are so individual looking.

so then can u keep any color coturnix with each other and they will lay eggs and taste the same as if any other.

is there a "pied" or "splash " in Coturnix ..? i can't seem to find anything mentioned or any pics of them on BYC so i'm thinking the answer to that is ' no' . And so my next ? is why not?

Quote:
so are you saying it's just not something people have messed with cuz they're Coturnix or there can be no such thing due to DNA or ..?
sorry if i'm not understanding ...
hu.gif

Button Quail come in pied and splash and they're not chickens....just saying...

I am saying each species is different. Its not in their DNA, now. But they do mutate from time to time.

Look at the write ups from the studies done on them on their colors. Some of the colors do coincide with the chickens. But not all. They aren't located at the same points along the line in the DNA. They are genetically close but yet very different. They aren't even right next to each other on the species chain.

You can play around with their colors all you want. But I am pretty sure you are going to be disappointed.
Now having said that next month they may mutate again. Who knows.

It seems to me that they mutate more often than some species. I think because they are bred so frequently and they are one of the most highly studied species on/off earth. I am thinking this is pushing them up the road of evolution a little (actually a lot) faster than would be normal. And now we are developing the equipment and knowledge to understand even more of the world we live in. An exciting time to live on planet Earth, I think.

This is why I find them so fasinating. I am reading reports of other birds with mutations in the coloring of the birds that are moving their migrations more northerly. This is unusual and unforseen and scientists don't really understand it or why it is happening. THere is a lot of speculation out there. That is why I commented some time back that it was interesting that in the Southern States, the Coturnix seemed to be getting more colorful. While in the North lighter variations seem to be showing up. i.e. my Manchurian Golds and your Project birds. vis and verse

But keep in mind that Mutations are not always of color. Actually there are very few color mutations unlike chickens that have quite a few.

nope, wont be disappointed, just having fun starting to diddle around with possibilities to see what will happen if i do.And don't forget i'm new to this so practically everything is cooool ! LOL
pop.gif
clap.gif

so are the mutations more apt to be patterns of existing colors or size or behavior or deformities or..?.. if not colors themselves?

Mutation I've found to reffer to any color that is not the wild color or pattern. New mutations occur from time to time.

smooth_quailing-2.jpg

Found this pick on the Back yard poultry website. Listed as Coturnix. They are splashed, but not very well.

They are Coturnix, but not splashed. Unless you want to call the English White splashed. Remember the Panda and Dotted Whites and their markings (1 mutation). This is where the Tuxedo comes from. This is why it is hard to get a really good Tuxedo. But its not really a splash.

I wouldn't mind trying to get the Panda mark all over the body, like a Panda Bear. Now I think that would be cool. But at the moment all I have is Vanilla, (OH his head is finally starting to show some color). So maybe he has a Panda marking, (I call it a finger print). And the chick we thought might be Rosetta, I think is British Range - more chocolatey color. But I will stick with my Jumbo Browns, Jumbo M Golds and see what I find in the Spring.

Most mutations are not for color. Most are other issues that we don't ever see, because they are bred in labs and are being studied. From what I have read a lot of them carry lethal genetics. Many are deformities. Some don't breed true.

OH, Joe123 - Brown doesn't show with the M Gold X BR or Rosetta because the British Range is also dominant. It could show up with a Rosetta if the MG is not carrying the extended brown. Rosetta and Brown both being incomplete dominant, so to get Rosetta you can cross BR X wild (brown), that should make those rosettas carry extended Brown. So if you cross a MG X rosetta, the brown could come out if the MG doesn't have the extended Brown. But I am thinking in a 2nd generation crossing, you might get the possibility of the 12.5%- 50% BR and/or Rosetta and/or Wild and 50% MG. I do not understand the extended brown except to think of it as popping up later in the breeding. OR from the sticky just covering part of a bird - incomplete dominant. If this isn't right hopefully someone will tell me and I can come back and correct it.

I am thinking that all of my MG carry the extended Brown, because of their markings for now. And that all my J Browns carry the MG or most of them. Now that I have separate breeding cages, I can find out. Maybe. I am not sure I want to build all the cages these experiments would require to have the numbers and colors required. So for now I just take notes. Lots of notes.

Sorry, I was really meandering around in thought here. Been a long day.

Back
Top Bottom