Color question

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Pault76, Mar 17, 2012.

1. Pault76

Pault76 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2012
    Wolf Lake,IL
    I've been looking at different breeds of chickens that come in different color phases. My question is if I have a hen and a rooster of the same breed but of different colors will they're offspring be purebred or will they be crossbred. I know with labs you can breed a yellow and a black lab and they're pups are purebred so i'm assuming chickens are the same.

Thanks
    Paul

2. Meara

Meara Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Midwest
    :welcome

No such luck. Chicken breeding doesn't work like dogs, cats, horses, etc. If the resulting color isn't recognized in the breed standard than it's no longer a purebred. Even though it is :confused:

Last edited: Mar 17, 2012
  3. Pault76

Pault76 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2012
    Wolf Lake,IL
    Thanks I wasn't sure how it worked.

4. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    I will disagree. The BREED is purebred, but the VARIETY is likely to be non-recognised. Breed is determined by all the traits that make up TYPE, not variety, and these tend to be the same from one variety in a breed to another, with minor variations. If you cross a lemon blue with a brown red, you will get recognised variety offspring. If you cross a recessive white with a lime green mottled, pink laced, chances are pretty good that none of the offspring will be anything close to a recognised variety. If you cross a BBR with a birchen, you will get some birchen, some brown reds and some golden birchens, but the next generation of offspring can give you a wide slew of mixed colours.

5. cashdl

cashdl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2008
    Willits
    Yes they will still be pure bred, just not a color that can be shown. I breed and show araucana chickens. They rarely breed true to color even when breeding the same color together, but they are still all araucana.

Lanae

6. Meara

Meara Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Midwest
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by