Color question

Pault76

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 13, 2012
Wolf Lake,IL
I've been looking at different breeds of chickens that come in different color phases. My question is if I have a hen and a rooster of the same breed but of different colors will they're offspring be purebred or will they be crossbred. I know with labs you can breed a yellow and a black lab and they're pups are purebred so i'm assuming chickens are the same.

Thanks
Paul

:welcome

No such luck. Chicken breeding doesn't work like dogs, cats, horses, etc. If the resulting color isn't recognized in the breed standard than it's no longer a purebred. Even though it is :confused:

Last edited:
I will disagree. The BREED is purebred, but the VARIETY is likely to be non-recognised. Breed is determined by all the traits that make up TYPE, not variety, and these tend to be the same from one variety in a breed to another, with minor variations. If you cross a lemon blue with a brown red, you will get recognised variety offspring. If you cross a recessive white with a lime green mottled, pink laced, chances are pretty good that none of the offspring will be anything close to a recognised variety. If you cross a BBR with a birchen, you will get some birchen, some brown reds and some golden birchens, but the next generation of offspring can give you a wide slew of mixed colours.

Yes they will still be pure bred, just not a color that can be shown. I breed and show araucana chickens. They rarely breed true to color even when breeding the same color together, but they are still all araucana.

Lanae

If you cross a recessive white with a lime green mottled, pink laced, chances are pretty good that none of the offspring will be anything close to a recognized variety.

yuckyuck.gif

Back
Top Bottom