Colorado - 6 Older Hens Need Re-Homing, Please Ask Around - Mareks Resistant Birds

I have, a long time ago. I've thought about doing a thread about the coop and the girls, but I dunno if I can/should since they are kinda public access chickens, haha.

They are still looking for a home, fyi, to anyone stumbling across this thread! I promise I will update the thread if that changes.

Just boosting this again to put it out there that we are still looking for a home for these girls. We aren't sure if Big Mama is going to make it through this winter, she's been very lethargic lately and I think she may be close to end of life, sadly. Vet is coming to look at her next week--we'll see what the prognosis is.
However, the other five are still perky as ever and would love a safe, loving home to retire from the public life to. :)

Thread 'Colorado: Looking for older companion or rehoming opportunity for single chicken' https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...oming-opportunity-for-single-chicken.1569663/
Thank you! I will check it out.
Being they are exposed to mereks I highly doubt anyone will want them esp because of their ages aswell...
Yes, I am aware it is a shot in the dark. But I also know some people do keep Mareks resistant flocks and these ladies all fit that category. I figure if anyone like that is around on the forums and wants to help out, it's better to put it out there than to not.

An update on the girls: We are down to three still in need of a retirement home. We lost the silver laced polish and the Welsummer this spring, most likely due to age as both deaths were quite sudden and they each seemed fine the day before. The vet performed an autopsy on the polish and did not see signs of mareks complications, just a bit of extra fattiness from being a spoiled old lady. :) None of them are obese though. Still waiting on autopsy results from the welsummer.

Of the three left, the Dominique and the Ameraucana still lay the occasional egg in the summer. The Gold Laced Polish may still lay as well since I find a white egg every once in a while, but I'm not sure if they are hers or if they belonged to the other polish that recently passed.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom