Colorado

ColoBecky - the Silkies may not even be able to see there is an overhead threat, they are the most vulnerable when out free ranging.

Applecore5, at least 3 of us are NPIP certified (I am, wsmith, and coloradogal are, these are the ones I know for sure - shyscreations may be, not sure). It is inexpensive and I think worth it to know you are in compliance with shipping laws if you want to ship eggs or chicks across state lines, and cheap peace of mind knowing your flock isn't carrying a couple of highly contagious diseases. You can also have them tested for the kind of salmonella that is passed through their eggs, which I did. The basic cost for certification is $15 (I think, something very close to that) and the additional test was another ~$15. The state tests your flock every year, typically May and August are the testing months, and when I was enrolled last year I was the furthest South in the state to be certified.

The person to contact is Kristy Pabilonia ([email protected]). Things to consider before you do it: If your flock tests positive for one of the diseases they test for, or if they suspect you have some other disease in your flock and test for that and it's positive, you can be ordered to destroy your entire flock. Once you are certified, you can only purchase from other certified sellers, or you can have new birds tested at I don't know what expense before adding to your flock (they would have to be quarantined until the results showed them clean).

There are people who advertise that their chicks are NPIP, which is misleading (they do NOT say they themselves are NPIP certified, they say the chicks are NPIP). They may have purchased chicks from an NPIP certified hatchery, but they themselves are not certified. If someone says they are NPIP, ask for their number. The state issues you a number (mine is CO-120) once your birds' tests come back negative. Sometimes it takes a while to get the number, but you will get notice your birds are clean before you get the number.

I hope that bit of information helps :)
yes! thank you!

Shylee, so sorry to hear about your loss. We all know these things can happen, but that doesn't make it any easier.
hugs.gif

If anyone is looking for a GP guard dog there is one on FC CL. Has experience with livestock and chickens. She might be freeish ($5 listed).

Love my GPX for coyote control. He's been working overtime the past few weeks at night.

Tomorrow Joyful Noise Farm is supposed to get their shipment of chicken feed delivered. It was due on Friday but didn't happen. I normally wouldn't cut it so close but our schedules weren't meeting up, me living in Denver. I sure hope so it comes. I used the last scoop yesterday. Now back to the non organic food today and tomorrow. I hope it doesn't effect them too much. Ive had some great laying days lately!!

After raising poultry 6 years, we had our first impacted crop. A cochin pullet who recently started laying. I'd noticed her front looking very full, and she appeared to have trouble walking. I helped her expel some of the liquid, holdin her downward. By afternoon her crop had broken open, full of grass and sand. The wound was so large, i hadnt a hope of stitching her up and avoid infection
Shylee, sorry to hear you lost a member of your chicken family!
hugs.gif

Good Morning Peeps! School has started so my computer time is limited. The chickens have started terrorizing the flowers so time to get a run built. We got our first egg 2 weeks ago and it was pretty exciting.
celebrate.gif
It doesn't matter how many times I have raised chickens, that first egg always gets our household on egg watch.

Last edited:
Shylee, so sorry to hear of your loss.  That sounds absolutely awful.  How is your chick crop this year?

Thank u all for the good thoughts! I should have been quicker to see her crop so big. Its my responsibility as caretaker of the birds. Its odd to see it so green here in late August. We have green grass!! Am hatching a few late ones--silkies and silver laced bantam cochins

Just checking in...

Been busy at my place. Built a cannon/mortar to shoot candy in the air. Kids love it. Chemo continues for Beth. MIL is still living with us... Volleyball season has started for my youngest, so that will be taking more of the time. Cockerels have started to crow (squawk is more like it), and the pullets are getting closer to laying. The young ones are 17 weeks old now.

Been busy here too. Getting cooler at night, so pretty sure we will get our first frost soon, everything seems to indicate an early winter, but I hoping for an extended late summer! Still need to get things done before the snow flies! The birds are already gathering, the elk are down from the high country, and the flies are going around like crazy, which usually indicates they will be gone soon! They get so desparate towards the end of summer, like they have something to prove! LOL Good riddance!

Been busy here too. Getting cooler at night, so pretty sure we will get our first frost soon, everything seems to indicate an early winter, but I hoping for an extended late summer! Still need to get things done before the snow flies! The birds are already gathering, the elk are down from the high country, and the flies are going around like crazy, which usually indicates they will be gone soon! They get so desparate towards the end of summer, like they have something to prove! LOL Good riddance!
Yup. Summer is drawing to a close. The flys have been awefull here this year, as well as the mosquitos. It usually freezes here on or around the first weekend of October, so here at least we have another month to go.

One of my moulting hens has started up laying again. Got a small egg yesterday. Not from the pullets, as they haven't started yet. But they ARE scoping our the nest boxes pretty regularly.

Back
Top Bottom