Colorado

I have five Silkie boys that need homes. All have some leakage on their necks, two much fluffier then the others. Sweet little guys, would be free to BYC members. One actually danced around me today, and offered me treats.

PM if interested.

Last edited:
Bantam Cochins are fairly easy to sex around three or four weeks, not all of them, but many of the cockerals will start to show a bigger comb by that age..... Some of the boys seem to feather in slower sometimes too. They look like they are enjoying themselves!

One is 3 weeks and one is 4. No difference in comb yet but they are both feathering in much slower than the other cochins. That was my experience before with our cochins. I think cochins are one of the breeds that has the slow feathering gene.

It looked like they enjoyed themselves. Napping and pecking at the grass. They were out there for about an hour, then the winds picked up enough to get to their spot so we brought them in.

I am so frustrated!!! I'm not sure how much I trust my incubating skills, and I would like to start my quail flock with some actual birds. Does ANYONE on the west half of Colorado have any coturnix quail for sale? I really REALLY don't wan't to spend the gas money to drive all the way out to Denver...

I am so frustrated!!! I'm not sure how much I trust my incubating skills, and I would like to start my quail flock with some actual birds. Does ANYONE on the west half of Colorado have any coturnix quail for sale? I really REALLY don't wan't to spend the gas money to drive all the way out to Denver...

It can definitely be frustrating! If I hadn't already bought eggs I probably wouldn't be doing another batch right now.
I think the modifications I made to my bator have helped. It has been at 99.8 for three readings in a row. That never happened before, it always fluctuated by a little each reading. I've gotten the same reading in a row only once before. Hopefully this will help with my hatch rate. :)

WE HAVE TAIL FEATHERS or at least the beginnings of them!

The poor bird who had the frostbite also had the naked tail. Today I was Peck No More'ing her and by golly, there's growth on that tail. Like it popped out overnight! Hard thick what I assume are blood feathers. I goopered her up good cuz the others really like to make her bleed and I guess they were removing those new feathers to make that happen.

It's been since Jan 31 that we've been trying to keep the others away from her poor tail and it's finally paid off.

I took a photo but it turned out abysmally between being alone and with the closeness and the purple of the PNM, but all those gray things are new growth..and check out the bite marks in the feathers above her tail. Darn those others!

Last edited:
Hi folks.

I have a few extra chicks from breeder orders and 3 chicks I hatched from eggs bought on BYC. All are straight run.
2 Blue Ameraucanas from Paul Smith - $10 each
3 Salmon Faverolles - $5 each
2 groups of 3 Blue Laced Wyandotte chicks, $10 each.

I'm in Loveland.

Trying to keep numbers.. um.. reasonable.. right.

Thanks, Connie

One of my neighbors stopped by and gave me yhree goose eggs. These things are huge. I managed to get them in the bator with the 35 chicken eggs. The bator is definately full now. I will have to turn the goose eggs bu hand though. 28 to 35 days on goose eggs, i believe. Is anyone looking for any large white geese?

Back
Top Bottom