Colorado

maggiemo they are in a large chick pen with others as old as 6 weeks, and seem to be doing well. I am asking $5 each for them.

jgurshtein, as far as I know the only way head feathers go missing is if another bird is plucking them. They wouldn't necessarily draw blood, just pull feathers out. She appears to be healthy, nice red comb and wattles. Do you see feathers lying around? If not, it is possible one or more of your birds is looking for extra protein. Try giving them snacks to boost it - meal worms always work well, or dog or cat food, tuna, meat, whatever you have around. When I cook a chicken or turkey I always let the flock clean the carcass off unless I'm saving it to make soup. It may or may not solve your problem, but certainly can't hurt them :)

suncatcher I am envious - we have had nothing but wind the last few days here, it's miserable.

Welcome to theberghfamily!

Chicks in Aurora FB page.
new ordinance just passed.
I'm 225 & Iliff area.
started with 4 and got two more, what was I thinking :)

My son has Buffs. He is really happy with them. He started them at his house. They came down to Camp for awhile. They never got real friendly with me, but at soon as they went back to his yard, they loved him. They must have a connection.

Gack! Help!
I just went out to check on the chicks and one of the Marans was dead. It was on it's back with it's legs stretched out.
All the others seem fine. The dead bird was one of the biggest chicks. I didn't see anything obviously wrong with it, no blood, nothing bulging in the crop, no weird poop. Ahhh. What should I do?

Gack! Help!
I just went out to check on the chicks and one of the Marans was dead. It was on it's back with it's legs stretched out.
All the others seem fine. The dead bird was one of the biggest chicks. I didn't see anything obviously wrong with it, no blood, nothing bulging in the crop, no weird poop. Ahhh. What should I do?

Oh Sweetie, so sorry!
hugs.gif
If everything looks basically normal, then it is possible that it broke its neck or it had a heart/ organ issue. One again, so sorry. It is quite a shock and I bet it is an isolated event.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom