Colorado

Trsturself - Fingers crossed you get some good offers after this weekend!

Thanks for sharing info on fermented food. Do you all feed fermented food year round or just in the summer? Someone mentioned that they keep a bucket out by the coop, do you do it in the winter also? Does it freeze? I'm all over wasting less feed so I might have to give this a try.

Our coop isn't "done" yet, but the inside is done, painted and the roost bars are going up today. So we are ready to move the chicks out to the coop!
wee.gif
Yay, I get my living room back! LOL I have read several places that it's a good idea to lock them in the coop for a week or 2 to imprint that the coop is home to eliminate the problem of them not going in the coop on their own at night. According to what I've read you're supposed to lock them in and give them no access to the run or outside. Did you all do that? We don't have the screens built for the coop main doors, so I'm a bit concerned about locking them in b/c the temps this week are supposed to be in the upper 80's (really?!? can't we have more than 1 week of spring?!?!). I was in there painting yesterday w/the doors mostly closed and I was sweating... can't imagine chickens would be happy in there either. So, did any of you do this? Did you have problems with chickens not knowing to go to the coop at night? Did you do a modified version of this like confining them to the coop and run? Our run isn't huge and they've been in it quite a bit over the past couple of weeks. We put the ramp up last weekend and they've ventured up the ramp to the coop entrance, but no ones been brave enough to go in the coop yet, which makes me a bit concerned that they won't go in at night. Thought?? Any advice welcome!

Considering the crap that's gone on in MI for the past few years and the fact that the state is virtually bankrupt and lots of citizens still can't find jobs, this comes as a big shock!  Hopefully CO stays smarter than MI!
I wouldnt bet in Colorado being imune to this type of legislation. It iss about big corporations putting a strangle hold on the lawmakers and controling them. Is this just the beginning of this sort of thing happening?
YOU BET IT IS!
Eventually the people of this country are going to have to wake up and quit getting pooed on and stand up for their rights!

I wouldnt bet in Colorado being imune to this type of legislation. It iss about big corporations putting a strangle hold on the lawmakers and controling them. Is this just the beginning of this sort of thing happening?
YOU BET IT IS!
Eventually the people of this country are going to have to wake up and quit getting pooed on and stand up for their rights!

I fear the day people wake up and stand up for there rights will be too late. I at least want people in this state to be aware of potential threats. Maybe we can keep this state aware and help prevent it here.

Trsturself - Fingers crossed you get some good offers after this weekend!  

Thanks for sharing info on fermented food.  Do you all feed fermented food year round or just in the summer?  Someone mentioned that they keep a bucket out by the coop, do you do it in the winter also?  Does it freeze?  I'm all over wasting less feed so I might have to give this a try.

Our coop isn't "done" yet, but the inside is done, painted and the roost bars are going up today.  So we are ready to move the chicks out to the coop!  :weee Yay, I get my living room back!  LOL   I have read several places that it's a good idea to lock them in the coop for a week or 2 to imprint that the coop is home to eliminate the problem of them not going in the coop on their own at night.  According to what I've read you're supposed to lock them in and give them no access to the run or outside.  Did you all do that?  We don't have the screens built for the coop main doors, so I'm a bit concerned about locking them in b/c the temps this week are supposed to be in the upper 80's (really?!?  can't we have more than 1 week of spring?!?!).  I was in there painting yesterday w/the doors mostly closed and I was sweating... can't imagine chickens would be happy in there either.  So, did any of you do this?  Did you have problems with chickens not knowing to go to the coop at night?  Did you do a modified version of this like confining them to the coop and run?  Our run isn't huge and they've been in it quite a bit over the past couple of weeks.  We put the ramp up last weekend and they've ventured up the ramp to the coop entrance, but no ones been brave enoOkugh to go in the coop yet, which makes me a bit concerned that they won't go in at night.  Thought??  Any advice welcome!

We didn't ferment last winter but I plan to next winter because we'll have room in our coop to keep it above freezing.
We don't lock our chicks in the coop. We just collect them at night wherever they've decided to roost and stick them where we want them. After a couple nights of this they go on their own.

I fear the day people wake up and stand up for there rights will be too late. I at least want people in this state to be aware of potential threats. Maybe we can keep this state aware and help prevent it here.
I've live in Boulder county for 20 years and it's been a perpetual battle with the county in regards to agricultural rights. The problem I've seen start with the commissioners making the ruling not understanding the industry. Funny when City of Boulder is very chicken friendly. There's way too much apathy in regards to local rights.

A couple of things that jumped out at me on the MI ruling is the 13 residences in 1/8 mile (660 feet). That is pretty dense. The next line is closest neighbor 350 feet. That's a ways away. Close to a 2 acre parcel square. It will be interesting to see how the people of MI deal with this.

Last edited:
after 3 weeks, a few loose ends to finish up, but here it is... My first coop! How the birds love it!

I want my family; especially the kids; to start learning how to be more self sufficient. This is a new experience for me as well and I gotta say... I am learning so much! I guess this city boy is really a country boy/ farmer at heart!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom