Colorado

Thank you Mtn Margie, Percheron chick, and 21hens-incharge!
We may have found a place today. I can't believe it. Fingers crossed!
fl.gif
I am hoping it works out for you.

Good luck, @duckduckgooose! Hope you get good news!

The tiny d'Anvers chick insists on flying up onto the top of my head every time they come out of the brooder. This little dude has no fear & just flies off to investigate things.

I can't believe how much the tiny Blue Red Phoenix grew in a month! And I was worried it wouldn't grow very much.

I'm hoping to get the grow out coop set up this weekend since work left me feeling depressed & not so great this week & I didn't get anything done. The 2 barnyard mix chicks are fully feathered & have been spending the days outside in a rabbit setup, but I'd like to get something better set up so I can get all 5 chicks out in it. They all need to get out there & discover dirt & grass & all that good stuff.

Good luck, @duckduckgooose! Hope you get good news!

The tiny d'Anvers chick insists on flying up onto the top of my head every time they come out of the brooder. This little dude has no fear & just flies off to investigate things.

I can't believe how much the tiny Blue Red Phoenix grew in a month! And I was worried it wouldn't grow very much.

I'm hoping to get the grow out coop set up this weekend since work left me feeling depressed & not so great this week & I didn't get anything done. The 2 barnyard mix chicks are fully feathered & have been spending the days outside in a rabbit setup, but I'd like to get something better set up so I can get all 5 chicks out in it. They all need to get out there & discover dirt & grass & all that good stuff.
wow isn't is crazy how quickly they grow?! They look good.

I was curious what you all do with your broodies? Do you let her set and be in with the flock? I ask because every time I get our Dark Cornish off the nest for meals, she gets into squabbles with her flock mates. She is serious and isn't taking crap from anyone and she is on a mission when she is off the nest. She usually runs to the fed bowls and eats and I have seen her take a couple dirt baths when she was off the nest. Anyway was just curious what everyone does with their broodies. Of course she picked one of the smaller nest boxes in the main coop. Thanks

Last edited:
Funny you should mention broodies, CoChix. I need some advice on how to break a persistent broody. She is my best laying hen, high in the pecking order and most of the other girls seem to want to mimic her most of the time. She has never taken more than 3 days to break in the past but she is now going on day eight. I've had her in the 'broody breaker' cage with good air circulation under her but she won't give it up. I'm hesitant to try ice packs and cool baths. They seem too cruel. Should I try to find a chick to give her?

These chickies grow so fast!

Congrats on finding a place to land when you get here!

Hmmm, I would let her raise a chick since the broody breaker is not working for you.

Wow, cold here today, thought I could work outside, but here I am on the computer in the house!!!
lol.png

Whoo hoo!! Trouble my muscovy duck hatched her ducklings today!!

In the fall we're buying the abandoned property next door to us and renting out our property that already has raised beds, detached buildings, chicken coops and indoor growing areas. We're looking for people that want to work with us on being a sustainable urban homestead.

Freezer camp was supposed to be yesterday, but the fatties are still alive. IDK why I am having a hard time just doing the deed.

As far as broodies, I have 6 on eggs/just hatched chicks and set up several different areas, but after they hatch out their babies I definitely need to move them around.

@Double Kindness - Congrats all around! It's too bad your not renting out right now since @COChix is looking for a place. Then she could keep her flock!

I got all my babies outside together for the first time yesterday. It was pretty hilarious. The 2 month olds gave the younger ones a couple pecks but then everyone stayed in separate areas of the makeshift pen & used my legs as a divider between them.

I also finally put up the nipple watering system I got last month for the adult flock. I was worried the hens would have a hard time with it because of their credits, but all it took was one of them to figure it out for the rest to follow. They were hilarious to watch checking that cooler out. They inspected the entire thing for a good 15 minutes before figuring out the nipples.

My parents almost have the new coop finished & as soon as that's done, I'll get to painting it & then we'll build the grow out pen next to the main pen. Hopefully, my paycheck won't be as truncated next month as it was this month or I won't be able to do any of that. Hope y'all had a good weekend! I know I needed it after my work week from hell. :D

wow isn't is crazy how quickly they grow?! They look good.

Thanks! I'm actually really pleased with the way my barnyard mixes came out. I mean, I'm super proud of the last illustrations that I had printed in an amazing comic book series, but I think I'm most proud of these two little demons. :) I didn't have much of a hand in the other 3, but I think they'll grow up to be good looking birds, too. Especially that little d'Anvers. That one is just the cutest!

Whoo hoo!! Trouble my muscovy duck hatched her ducklings today!!

In the fall we're buying the abandoned property next door to us and renting out our property that already has raised beds, detached buildings, chicken coops and indoor growing areas. We're looking for people that want to work with us on being a sustainable urban homestead.

Freezer camp was supposed to be yesterday, but the fatties are still alive. IDK why I am having a hard time just doing the deed.

As far as broodies, I have 6 on eggs/just hatched chicks and set up several different areas, but after they hatch out their babies I definitely need to move them around.

Here, I will help.... If you wait too long and it gets hot, they will drop like flies and you will have wasted your time and $! CX's are just not designed to live very long without suffering from being fat, so you are being merciful and not wasteful. The sooner , the better!!!!
old.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom