Colorado

Well then maybe resting the eggs was just incidental. We were trying to figure out what had been done differently between your eggs and others we set, and yours had sat on top of the fridge for a few days while the others went into the incubator 2 or 3 hours after we got them home. Looks like you're doing something right with your birds, or maybe it's hybrid vigor?

You came over and I turned off the turner to show you the developing chicks. I forgot to turn the turner back on until lock-down, so it was a good 6 days from day 12 to 18. I don't keep the water reservoirs filled or pay much attention at all to humidity. So when I went into lock-down, I wasn't expecting a great hatch rate at all.

What I learned is that turning didn't affect the hatch as much as loss of temperature did during that period of time.

The only thing I can think is Black Beauty is a Colorado chicken from a local lady. He's huge but hatched from a medium colored marans egg (maybe 7ish on the color scale). I do what everyone else does with supplementation but they also get kefir and the 4 in 1 feed with added vitamins/molasses once a day. The silkie roo is also a Colorado chicken. Come to think of it, all of my males are Colorado chickens. None of the hatchery males lived up to expectations... even Fritzle, my frizzle roo who I couldn't cull so found a home for him with a family, wasn't particularly suited well for what I wanted. Perhaps that the roos are all Colorado bred has added to this vigor. I truly don't know.

Or it could just be the incubator being able to maintain stable conditions.

But in regards to vigor: I seen something from the Egyptian Fayoumis I have never seen in another breed. When Judi first dropped them off to me, two had pasty butt into the second day. Before I had cleaned them, I put them in another enclosure as I realized my dog kennel just wasn't acceptable anymore due to the mess. Somehow, the brooder heater came unplugged. So I cleaned the two with pasty butt and put them back under the light, which was now off. An hour later, I go to check on them and both were coldish with their heads doing the chick death nod. Crapola. So I grab them both and start massaging their bodies as I put them in front of the heating vents. Within 6 hours, they were back up and speeding around. Any other chick would have perished from the cold as cold is a major chick killer. These two are now indistinguishable from the others and I wouldn't be able to pick them out if I wanted to.

Actually all of the eggs in our incubator are Colorado-bred. The furthest away from us were the RIR and SLW from Berthoud, still pretty much the same altitude and climate. I dunno, still like my hybrid vigor theory :)

Edit: your eggs also had much less porosity than any of the other eggs we set

Last edited:
So I go out to collect eggs today, and the chicks flock to me talking to me all upset. I open the human door to their house and there sitting by the door are my geese, Lucy and Desi. It seem they have decided the chicken house is nicer then their goose house. Lucy had laid an egg, ( something she hasn't done in two years due to a dog attack) not sure what to do so I remove the egg. Feeling very bad. And got them out. They have always shared the run. I told my husband to find her nesting box and put it back in their house. I feel so guilty, Desi was so proud. Lucy was really upset. Do you all think I can get her to lay in her own house again? A couple years ago she laid twenty one eggs and sat on them forever none were viable. Should I let her try again or just keep taking her eggs.....

Coloradogal, or anyone. Does anyone have any olive egger pullets that are a few weeks old right now? I have a few chicks with a broody right now. I really want some olive eggers and all I could get when this hen was broody was easter eggers. I am gagging for some green eggs.
Coloradogal. I read some of your posts and you say you have crosses that are maran/ee/silkie is that right? All three? Am I understanding that right?
If so, do you know what color the eggs are or what type of production this mix is?
I am really hoping you, or someone has some olive eggers I could get.
Thanks.
Great whether huh?
mo

So I go out to collect eggs today, and the chicks flock to me talking to me all upset. I open the human door to their house and there sitting by the door are my geese, Lucy and Desi. It seem they have decided the chicken house is nicer then their goose house. Lucy had laid an egg, ( something she hasn't done in two years due to a dog attack) not sure what to do so I remove the egg. Feeling very bad. And got them out. They have always shared the run. I told my husband to find her nesting box and put it back in their house. I feel so guilty, Desi was so proud. Lucy was really upset. Do you all think I can get her to lay in her own house again? A couple years ago she laid twenty one eggs and sat on them forever none were viable. Should I let her try again or just keep taking her eggs.....
Aww, I'd let her try. Little sweetie felt safer making her nest in the chicken house. You're lucky. My Sebbie girl thinks she needs to go out into the pasture along the fence line to make her nest. This year was a little closer than last but still out there and I have to go out at night and carry her in or the coyotes will get her. I've tried bringing her eggs into the barn but she still goes out. I did manage to incubate one of her eggs last summer. Pip, her little girl who is now laying her own eggs
big_smile.png

I love that she had a daughter. I know I worry about the predators as well. Ok , I'll see if she lays again. Other then Desi can be a klutz, I think they would be great parents. How ever the chickens aren't happy about dodging Desi on the way to their nest. I will try to dress up the goose house, make it more inviting, maybe soft music;)

Some candlelight, bowl of grapes......
lol.png

Another goose ad on CL:

[email protected] [?]
flag [?] : miscategorized prohibited spam best of
Posted: 2013-03-28, 3:05PM MDT
Sebastopol Goslings - $50 (East Boulder County)

3Ja3N43H25Gc5K65Fcd3sc2e7ad08d93b120c.jpg

Two white Sebastopol goslings, hatched yesterday, March 28.
Looks like a brother and sister, they are vigorous, sweetly trilling, and love to be cuddled.
I am selling them only as a pair, the two for $100.
Their parents are both curly breasted and nice conformation.
Sebastopols are somewhat rare geese, originating from the Black Sea region of Eastern Europe.
They have long, trailing, curly feathers, making best quality down for pillows and bedding.
These geese cannot fly, and are easily confined with a two foot fence.
They are tamer than most breeds of geese, they won't chase people and often love to be petted.
We find the parents to be so enjoyable to watch, giving daily ballet performances with their fluffy tutu-like plumage.
And they also keep our backyard nicely mowed.
Photos are of parents at about six to nine months of age, and the goslings hatched Thursday,
(plus a duckling having very bad hair day who insisted on having his picture taken).

• it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
Posting ID: 3709561487
Posted: 2013-03-28, 3:05PM MDT
email to a friend

Coloradogal, or anyone. Does anyone have any olive egger pullets that are a few weeks old right now? I have a few chicks with a broody right now. I really want some olive eggers and all I could get when this hen was broody was easter eggers. I am gagging for some green eggs.
Coloradogal. I read some of your posts and you say you have crosses that are maran/ee/silkie is that right? All three? Am I understanding that right?
If so, do you know what color the eggs are or what type of production this mix is?
I am really hoping you, or someone has some olive eggers I could get.
Thanks.
Great whether huh?
mo

Technically, any of my easter egger mixes should be olive eggers. My goal is the dark, dark olive color. Of my first generation, 2 so far are laying the beautiful olive color, another a chocolate and the final an ugly brown. My brothers hatch have given him mostly chocolate eggs with a few olives.

I just had a hatch and I know which ones are the easter egger mixes as they have muffs. Regardless of who the daddy is, they should lay olive eggs. I can't guarantee anything as I don't have enough hatches under my belt.

Of this last hatch, the silkies are silkies as the marans roo has no interest in the tiny gals. The silkie roo, however, is a bit of a freak and does go after the LD gals. I mostly incubated green eggs so the silkie/marans mix should be a lighter green or blue color while the silkie/ee mix should give a olive color. The marans/ee will have the olive eggs.

I wish I could give more of an idea but right now, I'm too early in my attempts for the perfect egg.

for those interested in geese, the yellow ones at the big r's in elizabeth and falcon, are NOT embdens, romans or sebastopols. those three breeds are gray& yellow, yellowish feet and beak. The only possibility I can find for solid yellow goslings over the internet is white chinese.

they also have a darker one, but i cant narrow down the type very much. they could be toulouse, but the could be a few others as well.

Back
Top Bottom