Colorado

hugs.gif
Awww sorry to hear that. We have been having a young bald eagle fishing in the pond and I have been worried that it may get tired of fish.... Hope you find out what happened.
Hugs again.

My Blue Cochin hen was taken this morning by a dog or coyote. I went out to check on them a few hours after I opened up the coop and run, and the chick was running around in the run without her. Searched all over for Mama, couldn't find any feathers, but Bob found what look like pretty good sized dog tracks, and there is no sign of the Cochin hen anywhere, so we are assuming she is eaten
sad.png
. Put the chick in the brooder, put the two Sussex back into the run and closed it. Will be restringing the electric fence today - now that something has found them they are in danger, and we'll keep them in and watch for something to return. If I determine it was a dog belonging to a neighbor up the road (in other words, if it comes back and I am able to track it back to its house), I will visit with them immediately and tell them what happened, and that we are entitled to shoot their dog if it comes back. I don't know that it was a dog, as I said it could have been a coyote, but the prints look pretty big.

The electric would not have saved her, as I would have unplugged it when I let them out anyway, but it will protect the two hens now locked in there, as I expect a return visit now that the food source has been discovered, and without electric whatever it was will try to dig into the run. The only thing that would have changed the outcome is not having let them out this morning. Without the chick to protect, she may have gotten away, the other two appear unharmed. I hesitated before opening the run this morning, and wish I had followed my hesitation. Broodies are well known to protect their chicks to the death, and I believe that is what happened. I will be rethinking my management, and may restrict free range time to time I am outside with them. I hate that idea, but really hate losing a good hen even more.

So bummed. First time I've ever lost a chicken that was not confined to a run.
That sucks. Keep a good watch with a good rifle or shotgun. For canines I prefer a Remington 788 in .223 with a scope. Deadly at 200 yards......

I located the tracks, they head straight for the next occupied home to the South of us. I followed the tracks all the way across the vacant property next door to the fence. I am going to pay them a visit. Thanks for the recommendation, Wendell, Bob was just wondering what kind of gun he was going to have to buy.

My Blue Cochin hen was taken this morning by a dog or coyote. I went out to check on them a few hours after I opened up the coop and run, and the chick was running around in the run without her. Searched all over for Mama, couldn't find any feathers, but Bob found what look like pretty good sized dog tracks, and there is no sign of the Cochin hen anywhere, so we are assuming she is eaten
sad.png
. Put the chick in the brooder, put the two Sussex back into the run and closed it. Will be restringing the electric fence today - now that something has found them they are in danger, and we'll keep them in and watch for something to return. If I determine it was a dog belonging to a neighbor up the road (in other words, if it comes back and I am able to track it back to its house), I will visit with them immediately and tell them what happened, and that we are entitled to shoot their dog if it comes back. I don't know that it was a dog, as I said it could have been a coyote, but the prints look pretty big.

The electric would not have saved her, as I would have unplugged it when I let them out anyway, but it will protect the two hens now locked in there, as I expect a return visit now that the food source has been discovered, and without electric whatever it was will try to dig into the run. The only thing that would have changed the outcome is not having let them out this morning. Without the chick to protect, she may have gotten away, the other two appear unharmed. I hesitated before opening the run this morning, and wish I had followed my hesitation. Broodies are well known to protect their chicks to the death, and I believe that is what happened. I will be rethinking my management, and may restrict free range time to time I am outside with them. I hate that idea, but really hate losing a good hen even more.

So bummed. First time I've ever lost a chicken that was not confined to a run.

I'm sorry for your loss. Fingers crossed she somehow escaped and will make her way home.

I located the tracks, they head straight for the next occupied home to the South of us. I followed the tracks all the way across the vacant property next door to the fence. I am going to pay them a visit. Thanks for the recommendation, Wendell, Bob was just wondering what kind of gun he was going to have to buy.

I do pellet guns for dogs as the goal is to hurt them enough to not to want to come back. Coyotes are a different thing entirely.

Colorado poultry fans--Sunday May 12 is the Rocky Mtn Pheasant & Waterfowl poultry swap at the Agfinity Ace Hardware store 55 W Bromley Lane in Brighton. Its in the morning till 10am. I am bringing silkies in various colors (mostly males) and some bantam cochins.
Then the Colorado Poultry Association has a club meeting at the same site following the swap. The CPA show in Pueblo is coming soon on June 15.
Shy, since I wasn't able to make it to the DUH last weekend, I'm hoping to get all these *&%@<"<#$ roosters to the CO-OP tomorrow. They don't fight amongst each other other than the occasional spat but the have chosen several of my hens to rape and beat up gang style. We've culled a couple of the meanest but I have such a hard time doing that. Some of them are so pretty.Hopefully they'll go quick tomorrow.

Folks, I'm bringing my granddaugthers and we are looking for TAME gander, toul or african we really doing care, but it must be tame. The goose my wife has now jumps in her lamp and plays with her hair. So we are hoping to find it at the swap. Anyone bringing geese (ganders) ???

Terry in Byers

Terry posted this ont the other CO thread. Is anyone bringing tame geese to the swap in Brighton tomorrow morning?

Back
Top Bottom