Colorado

Well my very first real winter was 2006/2007. I had never seen it snow and hubby had reassured me if it did snow it would be gone in days. I'm glad we got the worst then because as a desert rat I've acclimated pretty well.

Stay warm everyone!!!

I can't do heated waterers here so I use Fortex bowls during the winter, acutally I use them year round as extra waterers for my smaller run. Some nights they will freeze solid if I leave water in them, so I usually dump them in the evening, and refill in the morning. Pretty sure with this upcoming Artic blast, they will be frozen solid during the day too, but is fairly easy to get the ice out of them, and they are indestructable! Seems our snow and cold is early this year, usuallly we don't have these low temps til January, and the snow stays away til mid December. We don't have it hard though, I am reading, "The Seven Daughters Of Eve", now those early humans had it rough!!!

Welcome to all the newbies!

Pozee, Partridge Rocks are a great dual purpose bird too, just like the Barnevelder, they will make a nice addition to your laying flock, and that rooster is HUGE! Also, have you noticed if you are feeding more since you stopped the FF????

I will have Bantam Cochins available in the spring for those of you who want to add a broody breed to your flock, also, they are smaller so they don't eat as much.

My daughter and I have talked about getting some bantam cochins. But we are allowed a limited number so we have to be picky. We have 3 spots left and I'd like to fill them with bantams since we built our coop only expecting to have 4 and now we'll have 10 (we moved to a place that allows more so of course we had to get more). Good thing we were overkill on the coop originally but it would be a little tight with 10 LF in there! Do you sell hatching eggs or chicks? What colors do you have?

Yes, I should have hatching eggs, and maybe chicks, will see how it goes. If you wish to PM me, I can put you on my list for hatching eggs.........

Hey guys, just wanted to pop in and introduce myself! I'm in Fort Collins and have 6 hens we got in April :) It's great to see so many fellow Coloradans chatting about chickens!
This is our first Winter with chickens so there's been a bit of a learning curve so far but thankfully all the resources here have helped. There was a few days that last snow when none of the girls wanted to even leave the coop and I couldn't blame 'em! haha. We've scrapped together a light bulb water 'heater' which has been working fantastic.

Hey guys, just wanted to pop in and introduce myself! I'm in Fort Collins and have 6 hens we got in April :) It's great to see so many fellow Coloradans chatting about chickens!
This is our first Winter with chickens so there's been a bit of a learning curve so far but thankfully all the resources here have helped. There was a few days that last snow when none of the girls wanted to even leave the coop and I couldn't blame 'em! haha. We've scrapped together a light bulb water 'heater' which has been working fantastic.

Lots of great info here on BYC. New chickens seem to resist going on the snow, but after one winter, they are usually don't mind it! Mine are tip toeing through it too.

Pozee, Partridge Rocks are a great dual purpose bird too, just like the Barnevelder, they will make a nice addition to your laying flock, and that rooster is HUGE! Also, have you noticed if you are feeding more since you stopped the FF????
Yeah, I'm not too upset they're Partridge Rocks, but wish they were better quality. Oh well, as you say, they are a nice addition to the layer flock.

I can't say I've noticed as much of a difference as I expected, but I am buying food a bit more often than I was. There is definitely more waste. Less dish washing, though :) I was washing the FF dishes every night, and I do not miss that. The Silkies are not as messy looking as they were on the FF, and that's also a good thing. I expect to eventually restart the FF, but may keep the Silkies on dry.

Welcome Idess! I'm in Fort Collins as well! Glad to see another chicken lover up here! We are learning as well (April chicks) but they are doing okay so far I think. I threw some straw down on the ground around their coop for them to stretch their legs, and last week they were walking across snow, so who knows! I keep meaning to make one of the cookie tin heaters myself - guess I need to buckle down tomorrow!

Welcome to the thread!

Ouch! Not that cold down this way (yet) and only some flurries in the air, but I am sure it's going downhill as the day progresses ...

Back
Top Bottom